Kintetsu considers closing 762mm gauge lines

bill937ca

...But the layout looks perfect for small 1 and 2-car KIHA's and the like.

But as you say, the layout would be equally suited to railcar operation if you didn't want to build catenary.

All the best,

Mark.

You should consider drawing a plan for the layout for the period before the wires came up... when it had a 4-track stub terminal (with turntables at the end of the platform!) at Yokkaichi (shared apparently with Yunoyama Onsen trains), when it hauled coal from Yokkaichi harbour (apparently there was a short branch for this traffic) to silk spinning mills inland and when motive power was a mix of Koppels, diesels, raibuses and the first electric cars - ex-Tokyo trolleys with their bodies sawn down the middle (!!!) and narrowed, placed on regauged Peckham trucks. Would make for an interesting bit of historical modelling...

Cheers NB

• Like 1
That's my kind of track plan- around the walls, uncomplicated trackwork close to the prototype (i.e. what is necessary, not what can fit in the space) and track being organically part of the scenery, rather than overwhelming it.

Thanks for the compliment bb! Being a railwayman has definitely informed my approach to layout design, but this particular plan was heavily influenced by a long chat I had with another modeller at an exhibition in the UK. The exhibition was Scaleforum, and the modeller turned out to be Iain Rice.

Cheers,

Mark.

You should consider drawing a plan for the layout for the period before the wires came up...

G'day Nick - I've seriously considered doing just that, even contemplated doing it in On30, which I think would have great potential. But in the end I decided against it. In either HO or O, I'd be looking at scratchbuilding just about everything on the layout, and given the glacially slow pace at which I work, I'd never live long enough to finish it!

Incidentally, here's a blog post which should interest you:

http://drfc-ob.com/wp/?p=27966

All the best,

Mark.

The exhibition was Scaleforum, and the modeller turned out to be Iain Rice.

Ah, now I see.  Mr. Rice is one of my favorite modelers, he has brought some fresh air to the American modeling scene through his designs and publications, namely by promoting more modestly sized designs over the monster sized versions favored previously.

• Like 1
G'day Nick - I've seriously considered doing just that, even contemplated doing it in On30, which I think would have great potential. But in the end I decided against it. In either HO or O, I'd be looking at scratchbuilding just about everything on the layout, and given the glacially slow pace at which I work, I'd never live long enough to finish it!

Incidentally, here's a blog post which should interest you:

http://drfc-ob.com/wp/?p=27966

All the best,

Mark.

Well, you could at least doodle what it would look like... In HOn30 it is almost possible to do an approximation... Minitrains Koppel (and a Krauss sometime end of January/early February), Minitrains Gmeinder (just released, stand-in for Mie Kotsu's diesels), Arumodel "Gaso" railcar, Tsugawa or Arumodel wagons and coaches. World Kougei did models of MK's diesel railcar, locomotive and GE boxcab but these are OOP.

Cheers NB

• Like 1

Ah, now I see.  Mr. Rice is one of my favorite modelers, he has brought some fresh air to the American modeling scene through his designs and publications, namely by promoting more modestly sized designs over the monster sized versions favored previously.

I'd long been a fan of his, mainly through his books and writing in MRJ. Meeting him, and seeing one of his layouts was a great experience. He's a nice bloke, too!  :)

Cheers,

Mark.

Well, you could at least doodle what it would look like...

Challenge accepted!  

But you'll have to help me, Nick. I recall seeing a website that had some diagrams and photos of the early days at Yokkaichi - do you have a link to this? Or any other information?  :)

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
Challenge accepted!  

But you'll have to help me, Nick. I recall seeing a website that had some diagrams and photos of the early days at Yokkaichi - do you have a link to this? Or any other information?  :)

All the best,

Mark.

http://www2.cty-net.ne.jp/~muramasa/index.html

You are welcome Mark. However this is the only info I have on the lines in their early years. What the other stations must have looked like in that period I don't know. Even less so about the spinning mills - where were they, and were they rail-connected? Or did they go and collect/deliver their products at the stations (and did these have goods sidings?)? Maybe one could see if RM Models doesn't have a booklet with early pictures of the system. A layout set in this period would have to include two hidden staging yards - one for the line to the port and the other for the line to Yunoyama Onsen.

Incidentally, check this page - http://www.artpro.jp/ - click HO 9mm - mouth watering!

Cheers NB