Shinkansen Earthquake Protection System In Action (0系/N700系)

200系

A few years ago while looking for 0系 clips on youtube, I came across an interesting (in my opinion at least) video, shot in 2005, of a 0系 Shinkansen making an automatic emergency stop (traveling at ~220km/h) and coming to a halt inside a tunnel. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark it at the time, so I couldn't find it afterwards. During a random youtube search today I came across the video again:

Some observations:

-the 0系 R formation featured has to be either one of the R1-R31 or one of the not yet rebuild R61-R68 subgroups within the R formations.

Reason being the inclusion of a 37形 (2:57~3:07 in the clip), which was the exclusive for formations R1-R31, while formations R61-R68 had their 37形 rebuild from 37形 to 25-7900形

relatively quick after being reformed (they where original JR West Sk formations).

In 2005 the subgroup R1-R31 had been almost completely retired (only 2 left) and of the R61-R68 subgroup only 2 formations still including a 37形 remained, so judging from the information it has

to be either R10, R18, R62 or R65.

-As soon as the emergency braking occurs power is cut to emergency (only emergency lighting provided, and judging by the (lack of) sound all/most ventilation/air conditioning cut out as well,

the PA system is obviously working fine.)

-As soon as the train comes to a halt you can hear an clearly audible alarm going off.

-The train crew seems to keep the passengers updated regularly on the situation. I've been in a similar situation in Europe, riding the Thalys at night from Antwerp to Rotterdam (on the "new" High speed line, during a violent lightning storm) making an emergency stop from 300km/h-0km/h (twice), once stopping inside a tunnel just like in the clip (lightning strike on the electricity distribution turned out to be the culprit). difference being the total lack of information we got from the train crew.

-It's interesting to see the entire process (from a passenger point of view), from initial brake application->stationary without power->power back on->resume service (to the nearest station I guess?) at reduced speed.

I also came across a video involving a N700系 in a similar situation, only at a much slower speed (do note however that it still takes a good while to get the train stopped):

Anyway, I hope you'll find this as interesting as I did.

• Like 1