Japanese model building for movies

Jcarlton

The museum of contemporary art is having an exhibition of the modelmaking they use for kaiju movies and the like:

I've always admired this stuff and of course this exhibit ends before I can get a ticket now and I don't find out about it until too late.

Thanks!

Oh man, this is one of my favorite things to watch in these movies. I always marvel at how they crumble so well. The detail is quite good and great attention to making the scene work well in the mind's eye through the medium of film.

This exhibit piece looks fantastic! I wonder what scale? 1/48 or 1/32? The plaster and metal work on the crunched buildings is wonderful. Detail on the non crunche buildings is alo great.

Fun how you get sight angles through the exhibit to see giant people down some streets.

Would loved to have seen this exhibit.

Jeff

Ps my design mentor worked on a the space ship model in silent running when he was in school to make money. Great stories on how they created the details.  Few thousand tamya tank models were cut up for all the detail bits and combined with lots o bondo!

I was always amazed at the static photo results we could get with architectural and exhibit models. was funny looking through the lens with one eye and looking at the real scene with the other, two different pictures. it use to be fun showing folks pictures of the exhibit models i had done during the construction of the aquarium and folks thought that we had already opened part of the aquarium! really was powerful and lit right with the right camera angles the chipboard models would really pop, especially in high contrast b/w. perfect for making sure all were happy with how the final thing would probably look and feel.

jeff