Taking The Train Into NYC

Jcarlton

One thing I don't miss with the M8s is the bathroom chemical smell the m2s always had.  I always had to be sure to get a seat on a westend car.

Hmm, my first trip ever to New York will happen on 20th of October, this year. We will have 9 days in the city than travel by train to Washington for 3 days.

Does somebody know model train store in Manhattan and/or Washington, maybe some newspaper store where I can grab Japanese model rail magazines also?

What would you recommend not to skip in these cities if you are a train fan?

speedie, thanks for the tip!

I found in the comments a store in Brooklyn (Trainworld) that has super sale on 27th of October. And just 8 stops from the Transit Museum which we planned to visit on that day.

Yes, the Red Caboose on W45th St. (between 5th and 6th Avenues) is still there. They have a decent selection of new Kato models but they also have quite a few older N gauge models including several Japanese prototypes (locomotives but no steam, EMU's, passenger car sets). It's a pretty typical New York store, lots of stuff crammed into a small space!

Around the corner from this store, on 6th Avenue between 40th and 41st St is the New York branch of Kinokuniya. They don't get a lot of model train magazines (usually just one or two copies of RM Models) but they do get quite a few copies of prototype magazines like Japan Railfan. There's also a hobby section in the book collection downstairs where you can find things like Craft Models and various N Gauge related guides.

A little more hit and miss is the Sanseido bookstore next to the Mitsuwa market in Edgewater, New Jersey. Aside from driving, you can get there by taking a shuttle bus from the Port Authority bus terminal at 40th St and 8th Avenue. I say hit or miss because they get a couple of different model magazines but they seem to sell them very quickly, especially J Train which I always seem to miss. Maybe I should just ask them to order more. The book selection there is no where near as good as Kinokuniya, and the shuttle bus service is pretty infrequent on weekdays, but the Mitsuwa market next door more than makes up for these shortcomings!

What to see here? Grand Central Terminal, of course, conveniently located close by the Red Caboose and Kinokuniya (it's at 42nd St and Park Avenue). Jamaica station on the LIRR is about as busy as we get here though not much in the way of variety (two EMU types plus some diesel hauled bilevels). Hoboken terminal in New Jersey is the last of the old railroad ferry terminals around. Nice atmosphere with ferry, PATH subway and NJT light rail service in addition to the commuter trains heading to the hinterlands. The subway museum in downtown Brooklyn is also worth a visit. They also have a gift shop in Grand Central but all their equipment is out in Brooklyn.

i love Kinoduniya, but always have to ask around where trains stuff is as each time ive visited they seemed to have moved it. first clerk always looks puzzled, asks another and then usually a third who grunts and shows me the 3 or 4 places various rail stuff is currently stocked. my visits are only every year or two so i can see things can move! children's section also sometimes has some great picture books on rr stuff.

never made it to red caboose, always meant to stop by. never knew they carried much japanese stuff! thanks ill have to make sure to do it next trip!

next time i get up to nyc ill yell maybe we can do a little jns nyc meet with sushi lunch.

cheers

jeff

Yes, the Red Caboose on W45th St. (between 5th and 6th Avenues) is still there. They have a decent selection of new Kato models but they also have quite a few older N gauge models including several Japanese prototypes (locomotives but no steam, EMU's, passenger car sets). It's a pretty typical New York store, lots of stuff crammed into a small space!

I recall Bernard took me to Red Caboose when I was in the city a few years ago. Reminded me of a Japanese model train store, it was packed with stuff.

Warning, the Red Caboose is an adventure.  The store is total chaos, the store owner, Allen is a character, but you will have to learn to take his attitude in stride and if you are large you have to watch your step.  On the other hand I have been shopping there for over 30 years so Allen must be doing soemthing right.  BTW the NY Book Off store is just down the street on the same side.

I took Shashinka & Marti to the Red Caboose and it is something else! It's located at 25 West 45th street in the basement.....The prices are high and everything is dusty....Allen does have a large stock and is an interesting place to visit but just for a visit.

I took Shashinka & Marti to the Red Caboose and it is something else! It's located at 25 West 45th street in the basement.....The prices are high and everything is dusty....Allen does have a large stock and is an interesting place to visit but just for a visit.

From what I've heard Allen say over the years, his best customers tend not to know what they are buying and are usually loaded or buying for somebody who is.  I've seen some strange stuff go on over the years.  I usually only use Allen when I'm fairly sure that no one else has it or if it's too much trouble otherwise.  One time I wanted to build an presentation quality IND R1 subway car as Christmas present.  Allen had the car and the third rail section i needed, but they were'nt cheap.

Allen had a beautiful replica of the new NYC MTA subway cars....in both N & HO scale....they were both 4 car sets.....the N scale version was $1,000.00 and dusty. The thing about Red Caboose is if it is a rare item he most likely has it somewhere in a pile....and he knows where to look. I once saw a grandfather come into his store with a smashed up Minitrix HO steamer....I knew Allen listed it at $1,200.00.....it had been a gift for his 5year old grandson which he had broken and was going to buy him another one.....you know what was going to happen to the new one?!