Brazil HSR on the frontburner again (?)

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn
BRASILIA: Brazilian authorities said Friday they expect a $16.5 billion, high-speed train service between Sao Paulo and Rio to start operating as early as 2018.

“The deadline for the train to be ready is 2020 but our target is 2018,” said Bernardo Figueiredo, president of the state-owned Planning and Logistics Firm (EPL) which is responsible for new multi-million-dollar projects for transport infrastructure across the country.

Bidding to choose which company will build and operate the train will take place next May 29 while the auction to pick who will handle the related infrastructure work for the 500-kilometer (310 mile) rail link will take place in early 2014, he told foreign correspondents.

As you can see, no longer related to either the World Cup or Olympics preparations.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-3-128259-Brazil-wants-Sao-Paulo-Rio-rail-service-to-start-in-2018

Its hard to take the approach of splitting the project the way they have and the time frames very seriously. There are also questions about financing (in the current global situation) and where the trains would be manufactured. I would say good luck to any consortia putting in a bid for this business. China is not mentioned in the list of countries of potential bidders but they may perhaps have wider reasons for buying the business. The idea in putting in a bid for a project is that you actually make money and the project is a success.

It seems as though this high speed rail project is only one small element is a bigger transport plan + the olympics + the world cup!!!!!

I think I will just watch  these events on TV from the comfort of home  & at least the olympics and the world cup will be entertaining.

cheers.....Eisenbahn