Kato unitrack switches: can you control 2 switches with one controller?

Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

G'day everyone,

I'm thinking about using Kato switches for my yard. I was wondering if I can control two switches with one controller if I splice the wires correctly? This way I can control the entry on both end of a siding with one switch so open/close the switches at the same time on both ends.

Spiff

spiff,

yep this is cool to do. we did this lots on the first jrm layout where we used kato controllers. we had all our passing sidings done this way to allow both ends to be thrown at once.

one thing we tried was also to just have two controllers next to each other and put a piece of tape across the top so both could easily be thrown at once and if you needed to you could pull the tape to throw them independently if needed, but we later moved to just wiring them together.

there is also a great and simple little trick with a capacitor that allows you to use regular dpdt switches to throw kato switches and also do indicator leds as well as combined switch throws

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,1260.0.html

cheers

jeff

yes there is a 3 way splitter for track power or switches that can be used. one of our club members has a huge kato unitrak layout that uses only the premade plugs to dot he hole thing with power and switch control.

but in practice going this route can be a pain (connectors are bulky) and starts costing $$. its much simpler, faster and more convenient to just snip the wires and solder in the appropriate wire, wrap with a little heat shrink and voila, you have it the way you need it. takes just a couple minutes to wire one of these up. easy pezzy.

jeff

Jeff,

Do the Kato connectors fit standard pin headers like the Tomix ones do?  If so, pretty easy to make up a mini PCB splitter.

Cheers

The_Ghan

the track ends and the #4 points use pc style 2 pin connectors so you could wire longer ones that way. the #6 turnouts have the wire coming straight out of the point so you need to splice wire there if you want to extend the regular controller connector end.

if you are going to use the controllers its just simplest and cheapest to splice in the wire as needed.

ive made micro connectors by using serial cable plug pins and sockets naked wired onto wires and then wrapped in some heat shrink. makes about as small of a connector thats possible to fit thru small holes in the baseboard if you plan to move or remove the points like we use to on the old jrm layout where we would set things up on the fly.

jeff

Guest Closed Account 1

Can the Kato #6 switches be converted to DCC after they have been installed on the layout?

Or is there any way to pre-wire the switch for DCC during the layout build so that it can be remotely controlled by the Kato switch controller and then converted to DCC with a decoder outside the switch?

What type of remote controller can be used to control DCC Kato switches?

Sure that should not be a problem. The proper (sorry im no help here) decoder attached to the point wires to fire a short 12v pulse in the desired polarity will do this fine and many do this.

Jeff

I use TCS Switchkat stationary decoders which are designed to use with Kato turnouts and can operate four turnouts at once, I have one connected to a double crossover. They have outputs for indicator lights and for operation by pushbutton or switch on a control panel.

You mean NCE Switchkat?

Can you elaborate on the install?

Sorry, NCE. I had TCS in my mind because I was thinking of their decoders for something else.

The module it's on is still loaded in the trailer at my brother's place after a show on the weekend so I can't take any pictures or anything but I just connected it to the double crossovers leads as per the instructions and takes power from the track. There are only two wires coming from the Kato double crossover so the decoder just thinks of it as one turnout.

Guest Closed Account 1

Anyone using the NCE Switch-Kat or the Digitrax DS-64 with Kato switches?

I figured out how to use Digitrax DS64 to throw points on the Kato #6 Switches.  So easy.

Zephyr DCS51 to DS64 via loconet, Kato Switch factory wires to 1R/1G ports of the DS64. Use PS14 (external power supply) to power the DS64 not track power.

DS64 is factory programmed to for Switch addresses 1-4.

Youtube video http://youtu.be/56zJn-hhofY

I was at an exhibition in Sydney over the weekend.  I had a chance to see a handful of different dcc systems in operation.  They all appear the same to me, but I can see each has its own advantages.  I am curious, why do you use Digitrax?

Warmest regards,

Boiler

Guest Closed Account 1

Good question.

I'm using Digitrax controllers and gizmos because of popularity. I can get it at any shop and the brand is mentioned in so many articles.

I use TCS decoders exclusively unless the loco came equipped with another brand.

I was at an exhibition in Sydney over the weekend.  I had a chance to see a handful of different dcc systems in operation.  They all appear the same to me, but I can see each has its own advantages.  I am curious, why do you use Digitrax?

Warmest regards,

Boiler

I, and the other members of my club, use Digitrax because back in the 1990's when DCC was new one of our members who was an electronics wizard started using Digitrax and the rest of us followed suite so all our throttles would be compatible and we would be able to pool our knowledge if a club member experienced problems.

Of course just because you have a digitrax system doesn't mean you have to use Digitrax decoders, decoders are generally all comatible between systems. Throttles however are not, by us all using Digtrax systems the club doesn't have to provide a throttle for everyone who turns up to a meeting or a train show, we all just bring our own.