Shibuya underground station update

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Last month took the Fukutoshin Line as far as Shibuya Station.  Took a few cellphone pics of the work going on there.

The first picture is of the middle road tracks in the Yokohama direction.  The temporary pedestrian overbridges have been removed, to enable work on the track and associated systems.  The catenary has yet to be installed, even the brackets.

The second is a map showing the curvature of this station, which makes it a bit more interesting than the average underground facility.

The third is looking in the Shinjuku direction, you can see the curvature clearly here.

Finally, this is one of the operational outer tracks, eventually (next spring, this will be one of the down direction (towards Yokohama) tracks.  Even more interesting than the curvature is you can see how this is on a rising gradient.

Once this station is operating with through services, the Toyoko Line will see much more variety, and as gmat has mentioned, likely more delays...

post-167-13569931096741_thumb.jpg

post-167-1356993109915_thumb.jpg

post-167-13569931101516_thumb.jpg

post-167-13569931103901_thumb.jpg

Interesting post Bikkuri,

Just a few questions:

1. Is the overhead pickup a rail?  Is that common?

2. What do the signals look like?  I couldn't see any in the photos.

3. Several sleepers appear to be orange and made of a different material.  Do you know anything about them?

Cheers

The_Ghan

Interesting post Bikkuri,

Just a few questions:

1. Is the overhead pickup a rail?  Is that common?  Might just be the mounting for the over head, if it is rail or the overhead I don't recall seeing like that before on any subways in Osaka.

2. What do the signals look like?  I couldn't see any in the photos.

3. Several sleepers appear to be orange and made of a different material.  Do you know anything about them? The are the ATS-C sensors for stopping at the exact dot for gates

Cheers

The_Ghan

bikkuri bahn

It's the station that will replace the current Tokyu Toyoko Line Shibuya Terminal.  It will connect the Toyoko Line with the Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin Line, allowing through operations with Tokyo Metro, Seibu, and Tobu.

1. yes, overhead pickup by rail is quite common. It takes up less space than standard catenary.

2. the line is block equipped for cab signaling (ATC), and also ATO, allowing driver only operation, with platform doors.

3. yes, it's a new material, I think it's called FFU, or Fiber reinforced Foamed Urethane.