Visiting Japan for the first and possibly only time

Tyler B

Hi all,

I have half an idea about visiting Japan maybe next year, for maybe 2 weeks. It's expensive from here, so it's quite possible this may be my only trip to the country. I'm not really a big crowds and tourist attractions kind of guy, I'd prefer to see more of the real country away from the main streets, also get bit of rail and light rail or metro mileage (i'm more interested in the smaller, more obscure lines rather than the big showpiece high speed stuff, although a bit of that would be fun too).

Will probably be travelling alone so no need to to anything other than what I want to :)

Anyway, get to the point, I'd love it if any of you could give recommendations of where to go, what to see etc (rail and non-rail attractions), as a rail enthusiast but also someone who doesn't want to spend the whole time rushing from place to place?

Thanks

Hi Tyler B,

I am not the right person to ask as I like rushing around, big cities etc. However, first I always  look for what rail passes the various railway companies offer on their websites, eg Jr East, Kansai pass etc. Then I use www.hyperdia.com to look at what trains run where. Google image or wikipedia will tell you more about a particular line or train that may interest you. The Toyoko Inn website is useful for accommodation comparisons.  I suppose a lot will depend on which airport you fly into eg Narita or KansaiOsaka.  Generally speaking the Kansai region has an interesting mix of trains and routes, and Kyoto is the tourist destination often preferred by the Japanese themselves to see cultural icons etc.

I find doing very detailed research and a documented plan and budget before I go gives a double pleasure, the planning and the doing.

best wishes for your 2013 trip......Eisenbahn

Hi Tyler,

Welcome to the forum.

I'll be travelling to Japan in October.  It's the 6th trip for me and I lived there for a year in my high school days, however it's my wife's first trip.  Consequently this trip has a balance of Japan highlights and train travel that is biased towards a first-timer in Japan.  I have already been to many of the places we will be going to.

I'm just sorting out hotels, but will be posting an itinery in-forum soon.  When I do, I'll post a link back to it in this thread.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Hi Tyler!

Well, i'm not exactly the Japan connoisseur and only went once to Japan this year, so i cant be really very good at advising you which areas are best to visit. However, i can offer my self-written itinery for March 2012 trip which i made this year that truely expended the Japan Rail Pass for tourist well beyond 3 times the price i paid, and really good if you are very into shinkansen.

Hoped that helps! Cheers and enjoy your trip!

Japan_Iternary_10_days.pdf

JR,

That's a good format.  I might use it when I publish my itinery here.

Some of your schedule is a little too rushed for Mrs_Ghan ... and she'll only cope with a couple of hours on a train each day ... so our trip is centered around 3-4 base camps with little day trips ... I have to carry Mrs_Ghan's bags, remember ?!?!  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

Hi all,

I have half an idea about visiting Japan maybe next year, for maybe 2 weeks. It's expensive from here, so it's quite possible this may be my only trip to the country. I'm not really a big crowds and tourist attractions kind of guy, I'd prefer to see more of the real country away from the main streets, also get bit of rail and light rail or metro mileage (i'm more interested in the smaller, more obscure lines rather than the big showpiece high speed stuff, although a bit of that would be fun too).

Will probably be travelling alone so no need to to anything other than what I want to :)

Anyway, get to the point, I'd love it if any of you could give recommendations of where to go, what to see etc (rail and non-rail attractions), as a rail enthusiast but also someone who doesn't want to spend the whole time rushing from place to place?

Thanks

I prefer Kyushu, Hokkiado, and and Kansai to get away from the crowds.