Kodama 746

I'm trying to work in a short ride on a 500 Series shinkansen in October.  I was going to take the Kodama 746 leaving Himeji 16:25 and arriving Shin-Osaka 17:05.  It shows up in Hyperdia for July, August, and September, but it doesn't show in October.  For example, it shows for September 27th, but not a week later on October 4th

Does this mean the train won't be running in October?

What 500 series services are running in October? 

Cheers

The_Ghan

bikkuri bahn

The schedule doesn't show october b/c that's when the timetable changes. Likely it will remain a 500 series,  but there is no guarantee. Best to check when you arrive in japan. Kodama services don't really need reserved tickets, just get a unreserved ticket on the day of travel.

Thanks bikkuri,

Some airlines are the same.

When would the new timetable likely be published?

I really want to be sure I ride on an 800, RailStar 700 and a 500 when I'm down that way.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Ghan I have been catching shinkansens last 7 days I saw a 500 everyday and they were all kodamas and I can't recall seeing a shinkansen show up under kodama except 1 700 series. Not the N700.

It seems there is still a few but not all kodama are the 500 unless I got the 700 confused for the sakura.

Btw on a side topic the rail stars were looking a little neglected I saw a few with holes patched up and not very clean and 1 sat at the last platform at shin Osaka for over 1 hour. Till mine came not sure what he was doing for so long.

Don't want to specualate but they may be going bye bye in a year or so.

The 500 is a really nice set but from the outside it looks like a hobbits train but then inside its rather big nice all round I sat up the front car.

Also asked for a photo from driver in the cab, when it was terminating he declined kindly  :sad:

Was worth a try

keitaro,

Yes, the 500 series are all Kodama services.

The only 700 series I've been able to find on the timetable is the Rail Star 700-7000, which are running Kodama services.

Nearly everything else is N700-3000, except the JR-Kyushu Mizuho and Sakura services.  They are running N700-7000 and N700-8000 services.

The N700A is being rolled out over the next month or so.  These will be replacing some of the 700 series.

Cheers

The_Ghan

The sakura are definately 700 series's.

I'll see if I can upload rest of pics this arvo when I'm back at the house.

Yeah the n700 definately dominate the line it actually gets really boring after a bit especially on the Kyoto/tokyo side of Jr Wests services don't think I saw anything but a 700/n700. At least I was able to see some of the e series from Tokyo  :grin

Sorry to dig up an older topic, but I thought you might be interested in the following information.

Since the March 2012 timetable revision, the 500系 is also used on a limited number of Hikari services (Hikari 441 at least, not sure if there are more).

I'm not sure if this will continue after the September/October timetable revision, but it might be worth checking out.

-Sander

• Like 1

Seriously awesome find 200系.

Thanks for thinking of me and thanks again for posting this update.

I've timetabled a 500 Kodama into our schedule, but if I can substitute it with a Hikari I will.  Mrs_Ghan is pretty tolerant, but faster is better in her book.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Seriously awesome find 200系.

Thanks for thinking of me and thanks again for posting this update.

I've timetabled a 500 Kodama into our schedule, but if I can substitute it with a Hikari I will.  Mrs_Ghan is pretty tolerant, but faster is better in her book.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I couldn't tell what speed any shinkansen was travelling at, so I doubt she will realise either.  Incidentally, about the only way to figure out what speed the train is travelling at is to take a gps and fix it on the window. I presume that an N700 would be doing 300 on the Sanyo, but coudn't tell, which was disappointing

Angus.

Angus,

My point is Mrs_Ghan would like to spend less time in the train.  When a Hikari or Nozomi rockets past the Kodama while we're stopped at one of the smaller stations she's going to ask me why we didn't catch that one ...  :cool:

Cheers

The_Ghan

Speaking of Shinkansen, I've starting to have the feeling that JR West is going to phase out their Hikari Rail Star trains between Shin-Osaka and Hakata in favor of increased Sakura services from Shin-Osaka westward to either Hakata or Kagoshima-Chuo. Any truth to this idea?

Angus,

My point is Mrs_Ghan would like to spend less time in the train.  When a Hikari or Nozomi rockets past the Kodama while we're stopped at one of the smaller stations she's going to ask me why we didn't catch that one ...  :cool:

Cheers

The_Ghan

Hmmm... I vaguely remember that I read somewhere (so am not sure) that you don't have to pay extra money for a Kodama with a Railpass thingy and you have to with the Hikari, am I right? If it is then that's a better reason.

Densha,

Railpass is not valid for Mizuno and Hiyabusa services.  These days it is valid for Hikari, but the last time I was in Japan it wasn't.  I'm still tossing up whether or not to go the Railpass route as this is a leisurely trip for the benefit of Mrs_Ghan as much as it is for me.  We just aren't travelling as much as I might on my own.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I do know while i was using the JR pass in March this year, Hikari services ARE included, and considered the fastest for JR passes. Normally when you use your JR pass to do reservation seats at the office, all you need to do is to tell him where you wish to go, and the staff there will find the shortest route, usually Hikari, and do the necessary connections for you from the station you are at to your destination station. If you wanna talk a specific train type, i think you can also enquire with the staff so they can do the necessary reservations for you.

Reservation seats are not compulsary, but they do help alot as the staff can plan the fastest route and best connecting times for you. For specific train types, please check with the station staff for the train schedule.

Like The_Ghan mentioned, Mizuho, Hayabusa, Night Express trains and Nozomi are NOT covered with the JR pass, but you can take them with an extra fee. (exact amount i'm not sure, have to check with the station staff). Also, if trains travel on non-JR rails for some local train lines, then an extra charge is payable for using the non-JR rails for that section.

Hoped that helps!  :grin

I do know while i was using the JR pass in March this year, Hikari services ARE included, and considered the fastest for JR passes. Normally when you use your JR pass to do reservation seats at the office, all you need to do is to tell him where you wish to go, and the staff there will find the shortest route, usually Hikari, and do the necessary connections for you from the station you are at to your destination station. If you wanna talk a specific train type, i think you can also enquire with the staff so they can do the necessary reservations for you.

Reservation seats are not compulsary, but they do help alot as the staff can plan the fastest route and best connecting times for you. For specific train types, please check with the station staff for the train schedule.

Like The_Ghan mentioned, Mizuho, Hayabusa, Night Express trains and Nozomi are NOT covered with the JR pass, but you can take them with an extra fee. (exact amount i'm not sure, have to check with the station staff). Also, if trains travel on non-JR rails for some local train lines, then an extra charge is payable for using the non-JR rails for that section.

We travelled on Hayabusa and Mizuho last year with Japan Rail Pass. No extra fee.

Angus

Hoped that helps!  :grin

Sorry, slight ballsup with my reply. It is the one line near the bottom in the previous posting regard Mizuho and Hayabusa

Angus

More apologies. Only fools rush into print. Our trip down to Kumamoto from shin-Osaka was by Sakura, not Mizuho.

Angus :pottytrain5:

• Like 1