trip to hiroshima, nishikigawa line and yamaguchi SL

Hey all,

so last few days i went wih the family to hiroshima and some other areas near by.

apparently i am full on quota for this month so i have only uploaded some will post again on this topic once i upload the rest in a few days when month retarts for flickr.

favourtite part was the yamaguchi sl c57-1 however this line was just awsome and i took a tour through the closed tunnels. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nishikigawa_Railway

check out the link here  http://www.flickr.com/photos/65604009@N06/

bout to go to tokyo so will post some from there too but that will be not so much rail fanning ....

keitaro,

Any commentry to go with those pics?

Also, we've "locked-in" a trip to Koyasan in October, probably from Osaka, returning to Kyoto.

Also, when we're in Kyoto I was thinking of taking a trip to Mt Kurama - Yuki Jinja Shrine, Kuramadera Temple, etc.  Google Earth here: 35°06'58.58" N 135°46'17.10" E ... Do you know if it is any good?

822279.jpg

... and ...

21080173.jpg

I was then going to take a train back down to Takaragaike, then up to Yase, take the cable car to Shugakuin Ushigahitai at the top, walk across the top to the next cable car, about 1 hour walk, get on the train at Enryaku-ji down to the bottom and then walk to Sakamoto station and take the train back to Kyoto.

Is all this do-able in one day?

Cheers

The_Ghan

I was then going to take a train back down to Takaragaike, then up to Yase, take the cable car to Shugakuin Ushigahitai at the top, walk across the top to the next cable car, about 1 hour walk, get on the train at Enryaku-ji down to the bottom and then walk to Sakamoto station and take the train back to Kyoto.

Is all this do-able in one day?

Cheers

The_Ghan

I did that trip in the opposite direction in 2003. No problem to do that in one day.

Between Kyoto and Sakamoto, take the Keihan line. Subway - railway - street car... all the same train.

The path over the mountain:

W030416-020.JPG

L537L.gif

L537M.gif

Also, when we're in Kyoto I was thinking of taking a trip to Mt Kurama - Yuki Jinja Shrine, Kuramadera Temple, etc.  Google Earth here: 35°06'58.58" N 135°46'17.10" E ... Do you know if it is any good?

Yes!

The Eiden Railway is a nice day trip out of Kyoto. We went off at Kibuneguchi, walked along the river to Kibune village, across the mountain to Kurama and than the train back. A good combination of train, nature, culture and some nice udon in Kurama. I can recommend that trip!

Ghan -

Yes you could do that in 1 day. I would say no if it`s summer though, the heat is a real killer and would be a killer day and les enjoyable.

i have not been to there my self but have also been wanting too.

the wife says it is good and has been waning to go with me n the kids but decided not to do this sumer as it would be a killer carying a child each + bags in the summer heat.... almost died in hiroshima with them.

-----------

I have uploaded more photos again flickr has uploaded then in the wrong order even though i sorted before clicking upload ..........

Im time poor so basic comentary would be as follows,

Caught the 7am train from izumi fuchu to osaka sation, then changed line to get to shin osaka.

Caught the hikari 16 car from shin osaka to hiroshima.

from there caught the street car to the peace park. It was a 36 degree celcius day.

walked about the park and went through the museum then caught the street car to miyajima-guchi. We then caught the boat to miyajima and walked the island.

After we caught the boat back and caught the train to iwakuni station and went to see the kintaikyo bridge, went back to iwakuni and had dinner then to the hotel.

Day 2, caught the nishikigawa dmu to nishikicho, then took the tour car looks like a lady beetle through the old closed down tunels, 30 minutes 1 way, at the other side we went to a public onsen and had lunch in the restaurant.

We then took the tour shuttle back 30 minutes again and took the train back to iwakuni.

for the rest of the day we hit the town seeing shrines etc in the area.

day 3 -

caught a 115 from iwakuni to tokuyama station to catch the 500 series kodama 1 station to shin yamaguchi.

Unfortunately we couldn`t get tickets both ways on the yamaguchi sl so we caught a 2 car dmu kiha 47 set to tsuwana and watched it refuel and turn on the turn table.

Looked about the town and had lunch before catching the sl back to shin yamaguchi. Note there is a display d51 up in tsuwano.

We then caught the hikari back to shin osaka then back to izumi fuchu.

note if you ever go to the kintaikyo bridge be sure to check out the softserve ice cream store. has 100 + flavours of softserve WOW is all i had to say lol.