The Dark Side

Hello all,

Now, in this topic I don't want to generalise, discriminate or put people down in a negative or positive way, so please if anyone feels offended, I apologise. This is in my academic field of interest, so I look at these topics in the most objective way as possible (though that will never be possible of course). Next to that, I also have a personal interest in the more 'lower-end' of Japanese society, since this is, to most people, an unknown side of Japan. The dark side of Japan.

At the moment, I'm writing my final thesis for my university on Burakumin liberation movements through history, so in the meantime I started searching for some visual material to compliment my literature (words alone don't do much justice in my mind). For those who've never heard of Burakumin, these are the people below the lowest class in Japanese society, or commonly known as 'untouchables' in Western culture. Originally these people dealt with work that had to do with death (leather workers, butchers, executioners, etc.), which was seen as polluting in Buddhist tradition. During time, people involved in this business have become pariah and are discriminated up until this day. Burakumin have always lived in secluded areas, called Buraku, which still exist today.

As I wanted to see some footage of how these Buraku look like today, I searched for some material on the YouTubes and this is what I came up with. These areas are generally seen (in my opinion) as relatively okay, but not to Japanese standards. In Japan, I've been in the posh neighbourhoods (e.g. Seijo, Kinuto in Setagaya-ward, Tokyo) and these do look, in comparison, nothing like the Buraku. Buraku are compact places, with often dilapidated, sometimes make-shift, housings that are no higher than a few floors. For the untrained eye, this looks just like any normal Japanese neighbourhood, but many Japanese consider these parts of towns 'slums' or no-go-areas. IMO, they resemble other east-asian towns more than they do Japanese towns.

Osaka, Apachi-buraku (I'm not sure about that being the official naming). Please note the lower placing of the buraku next to a river. This is very typical for these areas, since these were prone to be the first to be flooded during heavy rainfall, marking the social status of those living there. Slums in general, in Japan, don't necessarily reside on lower areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_2Lxt2kk08

Another Buraku, or Douwa in Nara. Pretty clean looking. Only minor details depict this as a not so well faring area.

Now, another difference between a buraku and a slum is usually that there is more social control in a buraku (usually, but not necessarily, gained through the efforts of Burakumin liberation organisations), allowing less room for illegal activity. Buraku nowadays don't have much small businesses and have generally become living areas only, as opposed to slums. Slums in Japan are therefore more prone to drug dealings and gambling.

A part of Kamagasaki in Osaka, the largest slum in Japan, showing the outside of businesses. Ending with a warning from an old man it's not safe to film in this neighbourhood. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamagasaki

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Rt-1fx4EU

About illegal activities. Street gambling and drug dealing in Kamagasaki.

I hope this topic doesn't stir up a wave of discussion, but I'd really like to press that these areas are also very interesting topics to model on a layout! Especially when you're working with restricted space. :cool:

Cheers!

Toni

P.s. when in Japan and on a tight budget, you might as well check out these proximities for very cheap bed and berth. It's not a bad place as you might think.

Oh wow, I'm surprised they were able to record that last video.

But just like you I think these places don't look that bad, in the Netherlands are also a lot of parts of cities that have many illegal activities and are unsafe and aren't maintained very well. Just as the whole city centre of Amsterdam smells like cannabis, I don't feel very safe in Amsterdam anyway.

Yeah, I know. I live in a neighbourhood in the centre of Utrecht which sees quite a lot of small crime, like illegal dealings and such. Recently, due to public pressure, more neighbourhood watches of the police and city security have been around. There are a lot less shady people on the streets now, but I presume their presence has moved somewhere else. It's something of every society. Now, those are things you just not expect in a society like Japan, but if you see it everywhere in the world, it will be there as well.

Also, I've found a video where even the graves of burakumin are separated from the 'commoners', even today. Crazy stuff, huh?

P.s. this makes me not love Japan less or more even so.

Thanks Toni, this is really interesting.

I had walked around and stayed in Tennoji for some time in 2010. It seems quite close to Kamagasaki if I believe the maps. Maybe it's the same area, anyway Tennoji is considered quite shabby too, with Yakusas and homeless people hanging around. And though you can feel it's not the same Japan as you are usually used to, it still feels very much safe. I enjoyed great meals and some very cheap accomodations.

Is it similar to the caste system of India?

In a sense, yes. In India there is however less political activity involved to liberate the lowest caste, I believe (not sure about that though).

In Japan, the Burakumin are however in a different position than the Zainichi (Korean) and Chinese residents. These two groups are more prone to receive bullying from right-wing groups. The video below is a good example of how this kind of bullying is done by these right-wing groups. Though I do not want to express any side, this way of expressing one's discomfort with a certain group is pretty low-class and hypocritical in itself; let's bother others who we consider a bother, instead of having a dialogue and solve things in a rational way. But that is what people are unfortunately.

Toni,

very interesting and not something talked about much with still ritualized japanese culture. Sad that society seems to always have a hankering to do things like this everywhere with wanting to say some are better or lesser than others.

funny thing was we just watched Departures the other night. It deals with the ritual preparation of bodies for cremation/burial and the stigma attached to those who work in the business. I was not aware that the Burakumin in Japan were usually in the untouchable trades, but it makes perfect sense.

You are right, an good place to model and quite interesting. Always good to know about stuff like this and learn more with an open mind. good luck on the thesis!

thanks

jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

It's the same with every society, I think. Whenever you dig a bit deeper, you stumble upon the social problems that society bares. Some societies have those problems more on the surface than others, but in general, there is always something hidden for the superficial vision (not insinuating ignorance here!).

Japan in particular is a fine example that manages to hide (either consciously or unconsciously) its defects. What most people get to see is the modern and thriving youth culture, plus its rich history and culture related to that. All things considered, Japan is a thriving society and economy, but there are always those who suffer from the well-being of others. In theory, every society can be a balanced one, but that is just not how human nature works. I however will never discourage the efforts of people to improve the living situation of others, especially when those in need are in an inescapable position. I might be a hypocrite myself in this way as well, since I do believe in self-sustainment and autodidactic adjusting to your situation (if life gives you lemons, you know the drill...).

The movie Departures indeed deals with a situation not unlike the Burakumin. The old man is most probably a Burakumin himself, but the main character is not. He is however very aware of the social danger his new job has, but accepts it anyway. 40~30 years ago this would be unthinkable, since the Burakumin issue was then much more highlighted in the news. Stemming from a new generation, the main character was probably only confronted with this issue in his childhood and probably didn't care about it then. Also, he is a Tokyo person (or at least someone from Kanto), where Burakumin are less represented than in the Western part of Japan. Places like Yamagata or the whole of Tohoku for that matter, where Departures takes place, have very little to no Buraku affinity, so the problem is much less prevalent than in parts south of Tohoku. Hokkaido has no record of Burakumin, whereas cities in the Kansai (Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Kobe, etc.) have a relatively large Burakumin concentration. Problems thus occur much more often there (it's a Kansai thing :lipssealed:).

Anyway, I'm almost done with the writing part of my thesis, so only a conclusion and review await. After being accepted by my university I'll gladly publicise the whole thing for all to read on the internets. It might be of use for some, or just prove an interesting read on the hidden parts of Japanese society.

Cheers!

Toni

Toni,

thanks very much for the info. Pretty much my takeaway from the movie. the movie was nicely done, not really hard hitting and pretty predictable, but nicely done.

Would love to parouse the thesis when you are done!

thanks again for posting a very thoughtful post here.

jeff