Hokkaido train driver caught wearing earplugs

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn
SAPPORO -- A 51-year-old driver of a train operated by Hokkaido Railway Co. (JR Hokkaido) was caught wearing earplugs while driving a passenger train in an undersea tunnel, it has been learned.

The driver was operating the super night express Cassiopeia on the Kaikyo Line, bound for Ueno Station in Tokyo from Sapporo in Hokkaido.

According to Hokkaido District Transport Bureau officials, on July 16 at around 10:07 p.m. the man put earplugs in both ears for about 10 minutes, while he was passing through Seikan Tunnel, an undersea tunnel connecting Hokkaido with the main Honshu island. The driver turned to earplugs to avoid the noise in the tunnel, officials said.

The incident prompted the bureau to issue an official letter of warning to JR Hokkaido on July 20, demanding improvement of the situation on the grounds that using earplugs while driving may "hinder transportation safety." The letter further added that in an emergency, drivers wearing earplugs may be unable to notice warning signs and calls sent through the train's radio.

According to JR Hokkaido officials, the 51-year-old has nearly 19 years of experience as a train driver. He apparently began using earplugs when passing through tunnels from about a month ago. It also became clear that another three train drivers belonging to the same company have also been using earplugs.

http://mainichi.jp/english/english/newsselect/news/20120721p2a00m0na003000c.html

The noise encountered when transiting through the tunnel has long been remarked upon, but I didn't know it was an issue with drivers also.

I'd guess that the passenger cabins are better insulated than the crew compartments.  It would make sense to me that noise would be a bigger problem for the crew.  So is this guy going to be picking weeds at Naebo for a few months?

I find it odd that earplugs aren't allowed by JR, Queensland Rail drivers actually get issued with earplugs in their regular stores packs.

Nick_Burman

I find it odd that earplugs aren't allowed by JR, Queensland Rail drivers actually get issued with earplugs in their regular stores packs.

Here in Brazil drivers on some lines get ear plugs and ear muffs as the racket of operating diesel-hauled ore trains through mile+ long tunnels can be very detrimental to hearing.

Cheers NB

bikkuri bahn

According to a morning news report, noise levels in the tunnel reach 95db for drivers.  JR Hokkaido is going to grind the rail in the tunnel, and hopefully get those levels down to 80db.  I'm sure passengers in sleeping cars will appreciate that too.

Krackel Hopper

According to a morning news report, noise levels in the tunnel reach 95db for drivers.  JR Hokkaido is going to grind the rail in the tunnel, and hopefully get those levels down to 80db.  I'm sure passengers in sleeping cars will appreciate that too.

Grinding the rails will certainly be an improvement..

Has there been any word on the driver(s)?  Have they been suspended?  Or as miyakoji said "picking weeds at Naebo"?

I am curious to know if the drivers are (or will be) faulted for taking precautions to protect their hearing.

bikkuri bahn

I have a sense that this was a common practice for a long time, and for some reason the prefectural bureau got wind of it.  JR Hokkaido has been under a lot of scrutiny recently, and this may be another example- the letter of warning was sent to JR Hokkaido, after all.  I think the drivers probably will not be punished, probably just a note in their personnel file, if that.

Also, there are probably a lot of nervous Hokkaido officials since the Seikan Tunnel is due to start having shinkansen operations in a few years.  Even an inkling of perceived lapses in safety (whether the safety concern is warranted or not) would be embarrassing.