More Shinkansen Lines

I'm curious if the 1067 line between Takeo and Hakata is going to be widened to accomodate the standard Shinkansen loading gauge, or if the gauge-changing trainsets will adhere to the same 2950mm width as the mini shinkansens...

Based on the appearance of the Gauge Change Train that they've been running on the Yosan Line, I'm guessing that the loading gauge will be 2950mm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_Change_Train

Ah yeah, wiki says width is 2945mm.

Man, what's with the gunslit windows? Looks like someone's got P42 envy...

I've yet to see experimental Japanese trains that have good looks...

Man, what's with the gunslit windows? Looks like someone's got P42 envy...

I've yet to see experimental Japanese trains that have good looks...

IMO the Star21 looks pretty badass. Either cab-end would have done just fine on a regular series. The wedge-shape just is one of my favourite designs, but then again, I like old-school industrial designs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STAR21

IMO the Star21 looks pretty badass. Either cab-end would have done just fine on a regular series. The wedge-shape just is one of my favourite designs, but then again, I like old-school industrial designs.

Indeed, that's your own opinion. That I don't like it is my own opinion. I do however like the design of the 0/100/200/300 series Shinkansen. Considering that the STAR21 was introduced in the same year as the 300 series, it really makes clear that the experimental trains uses more 'old school' looks, especially the fronts. If you look at the gauge changing train it uses older looks, this time of the E3 series. The color scheme of the gauge changing train are is pretty bad though.

I don't like experimental high speed trains anyway, the TGV, ICE, Maglev experiments all looked really bad in my opinion.

A common trait seems to be angles rather than curves.  Probably cheaper to build.  13 of the 14 Fastech 360 cars have been scrapped, they only existed for about 3 years!