My first passenger train...I splurged (56k beware)

TaeOH

Well, I hope you like this and the pics are not too much, but I want to share.  I went to the Great Train Expo today and bought something unexpected.  Bob (powersteamguy) is too blame, I read his review of the Kato Morning Daylight and comparison's to the Con Cor and Key Imports versions.  The Kato fared really well and I started looking at prices online the other night as a target for my first N scale Steam engine, but down the road.  Then I came across the engine at the hobby show for a steal of a price, and I could not pass it up.  Well I could not just buy the engine, so I picked up the 10 car set too.  Wow, even though the price was great, it put a dent in my pocket book.

So here for your viewing pleasure (hopefully, because I love looking at threads like this) is my new Unitrack set up on my daughters Thomas Train table that I made out of the M2 set I bought and the Morning Daylight.  Sad thing is I realized tonight that the Daylight will go in storage until the permanent layout gets up.  Way too big for a Thomas table...lol.  But I will light the cars first and who knows, maybe I will add DCC and Sound before too long.

The table set up...

IMG_1646.jpg

The Daylight...it is the 4449 which made me happy too.

IMG_1651.jpg

The cars...

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

CaptOblivious

:D

Very nice.

I had big plans to attend the GTE when it was in STL last weekend. But there was not a parking space open, and at least a hundred other people like me looking for a place to park. I ended up leaving without getting to see the show at all, all for a lack of parking. Needless to say, I'm still broken-hearted about that.

But this thread kinda makes up for it. I know your daughter will love it!

alpineaustralia

Who knows, maybe your daughter will the first female memebr of this forum.  :)

All kidding aside - congratulations!

That is a beautiful set and you can't go wrong with Kato, so congratulations!

Bob has been doing Steam for a very long time and I know that a lot of other modelers have the same comment about Key Imports, very beautiful brass models highly detailed but do not run as well as the Kato trains, plus in the future as sometimes parts wear down, it will be easier to get Kato parts than Key Imports. Also if you plan to convert the train to DCC in the future, it will be easy.

I hope you're able to start your permanent layout soon, it's a lot of fun and you'll find yourself constantly thinking of ways to design it.

Oh, and even though it put a "dent in your wallet", if it gives you and your daughter lots of time and fun together, in my opinion, it all worth it. ;)

I added interior lights to 6 of the cars tonight, not a easy thing to do but I like the added effect.  The articulated cars were a complete bitch.  I accidentally dropped them while working on the third and final car to light and the mechanism that held the articulated sections together completely fell apart. It was like a Chinese puzzle trying to put them back together and I am still not sure if I got it right because I cannot believe that is all that is holding it together.  But I tested them and they ran.

I am actually very happy I bought this set because now I fully understand the Radius requirements I am going to need on the mainline to run these passenger trains.  So I will have that always on my mind while planning the layout.

I also picked up a Kato F7A Warbonnet, it looks and runs so much better than the Bachmann. I plan on collecting that passenger set too, but right now the F7A can do ghetto freight duty for my temp layout fun.

I have decided what my layout will be, but have yet to decide on the signature scenery piece.  I am going model a fantasy western US setting, so I need some kind of eye catching mountainous scene on the mainline run.  How I will add a modern Bullet train is try to model the proposed California High speed train that probably will never see the light of day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqOZumnWNMA

Once Spring hits I can start preparing the basement room for flooring and a drop ceiling, the walls and electrical is there.  This is why there is a delay, the room still needs finished before I start building benchwork and I don't want to start cleaning the basement out until it is warmer.

CaptOblivious

I have decided what my layout will be, but have yet to decide on the signature scenery piece.  I am going model a fantasy western US setting, so I need some kind of eye catching mountainous scene on the mainline run.  How I will add a modern Bullet train is try to model the proposed California High speed train that probably will never see the light of day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqOZumnWNMA

Having watched that movie many times in the days leading up to the election (Californians were voting whether to fund the system), I always found that one scene intriguing: The train emerging from a tunnel in the middle of a windfarm. What fun to model! I don't think any of us here would have the guts to repaint a shinkansen, but I would love to see one repainted in the proposed CHSR colors.

I added interior lights to 6 of the cars tonight, not a easy thing to do but I like the added effect.  The articulated cars were a complete bitch.  I accidentally dropped them while working on the third and final car to light and the mechanism that held the articulated sections together completely fell apart. It was like a Chinese puzzle trying to put them back together and I am still not sure if I got it right because I cannot believe that is all that is holding it together.  But I tested them and they ran.

I am actually very happy I bought this set because now I fully understand the Radius requirements I am going to need on the mainline to run these passenger trains.  So I will have that always on my mind while planning the layout.

I also picked up a Kato F7A Warbonnet, it looks and runs so much better than the Bachmann. I plan on collecting that passenger set too, but right now the F7A can do ghetto freight duty for my temp layout fun.

Once Spring hits I can start preparing the basement room for flooring and a drop ceiling, the walls and electrical is there.  This is why there is a delay, the room still needs finished before I start building benchwork and I don't want to start cleaning the basement out until it is warmer.

I believe outside of trying to repliacte a specific place and time most good modeling falls under "Tin Scale" rules.  To quote a page from thortrains.net, I believe this statement truely expresses what many of us are trying to do. Thogh it is mainly focused on O-Gauge it rings true for all gauges.

"Good tinscaling is an adventure, where the running of trains gets maximum action in the available space. It is not model railroading in the sense of replicating realistic roads and operations, but as a model of what we'd like it to be. Railroads provide the raw materials for the work. As tinscalers, we take them and use them to build our masterpieces. Our greatest work is expressed when our trains are running."

• Like 1