Meitetsu/JRC crossing gate at Jingu-mae permanently closed

This crossing, immediately north of Meitetsu's Jingu-mae Station, was closed for the last time on June 30.  This does not have arms that come down, but two cables or chains that are attached to vertically sliding things (technical eh?!).  During rush hour it could be mostly closed for about 1 hour.  It is now closed to all traffic, but a pedestrian/cyclist bridge is planned to open in 2017.  For the next 5 years... too bad, apparently!  Meitetsu calls this Jingu-mae #1 crossing gate, JR Central calls it Mita (I think that's how it's read).  If I understand correctly, it was manually actuated.

here's the Tetsudou Fan article: http://railf.jp/news/2012/07/01/070000.html

Ompuchaneru thread with some images: http://rail-uploader.khz-net.com/index.php?id=1040820

and of course a few YT videos...

by dbz586601 who has a lot of good Nagoya-area videos:

by uguisuiro19811102, low resolution but has some good nerve-wracking shots!:

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

Even quirky Meitetsu is giving in to standardization and rationalization.  Another lost opportunity on my "too see" list.

I looked up the station on Google Maps and in the end, I'm not surprised they're permanently closing the gates on this crossing. It's a MAJOR stop on the Meitetsu Nagoya Line (south of this station the Meitetsu Line splits into two, with one line going to Nagoya Centrair International Airport), and tracks next to the station is part of the very busy Tokaidō Main Line used by JR Central.

I'd like to know how are they going to build that new ramped crossing that accommodates both pedestrians and bicycle riders.

Wow the 'gate' looks scary to me... Just strips and being dropped from above? Seems like anyone can easily or accidently get caught in it and right in the middle of flying cargo trains...