Kato Overhead Station Questions

Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

G'day, I was hoping to include the Kato overhead station in my original layout but it has proven to be too long. So the plan now is to make an 2 expansion modules. The modules will be attached to the main layout via a removable bridge. The expansion modules will be a "L" shape  5ft by 24 inches wide and 2ft 6 inch inch long x 24 inches (displayed in pic 1).

Apologies for the lousy paint shop work.

First Question:

In Pic 2, there is a gap wide enough that seems to accommodate 2 tracks (Large red circle). In the smaller red circle there is a tab that prevents cars from going thru. I am guess this gap is not to allow for two tracks to go thru. With that being the case what are folks doing with that gap?

Second Question:

In Pic 3, circled in red is another section of station that doesn't appear to hook up to anything. Is this the case? If there is a place to hook it up where do you hook it up to?

Third Question:

In Pic 4, I need to do a 90 degree turn in a short distance. The track ends shortly after the bend so trains going thru there will be going very slow as they will be arriving or departing the station so min radius turn should be ok.

Am I correct to assume if I use track such as 20-100 249mm (9 3/4") Radius 45º Curve Track  or 20-110 282mm (11") Radius 45º Curve Track will give me a 90 degree using 2 sections of track?

Does any one have a suggestion on how best to make that 90 degree turn in a short distance.

Thanks

Spiff

post-425-13569930913791_thumb.jpg

post-425-13569930915613_thumb.jpg

post-425-13569930916218_thumb.jpg

post-425-13569930917044_thumb.jpg

Spiff,

This is what I am doing to my overhead station unit and can see what is happening with your idea:

Photo 2: You are correct that there is not enough space for the second track to be placed there so what I have done is by buying a couple of the CASCO fencing sheets I am going to place a barrrier between the track and the enterance ramp. The space between will be covered by both ballast and makng a walkway from that station enterance ramp which would lead to a car park area.

Photo 3: The extra enterance is supposedto go on hte other side of the station but it is limited to how much space you will have on your base with them connected. as you can have 2 entry points to the station (not counting the platforms sections)

Photo 4: It looks like to be a very tight curve there and you might not be able to run trains on there due to the limitation of the curve. If you are able to expand the base a bit further out you would be able to accommodate the better turning curve which trains can run along, again it goes to the question how much space do you have and how much can you afford to use!

Best of luck to find an answer that would be helpful and benefits to what you require.

Sarah

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for the reply Sarah. I figured out that by taking the roof off, I can remove the window and attach the exit stairs to the other side. Seems weird that Kato would leave a gap like that but like you said it can be ballasted. I like the fence idea.

I did some remeasuring and looks like I have 5 1/2feet to work with. I can place the switches on the bridge so it should give me abit more room. I still need to figure out that curve. Like I said trains will just be parking there so speed is not an issue so hopefully it being a tight turn will be ok.

Spiff

Sarah's already answered the question about the station pieces, so I'll just note that fencing seems to be what Kato uses the gap for also (there are a couple of photos in the product page on their website).

Regarding the curve, minimum radius depends on the trains you'll run. Speed only factors in to the extent that a too-tight curve may not cause a derailment at low speed even when things are binding.  Note the use of "may" however. My experience is that whenever I've cut corners like that on a layout, I've regretted it later. Reliable operation depends on avoiding those "may"s.

As Martin noted on another thread, 282mm will work for most things (except possibly some non-Kato Shinkansen), and some trains will get around the 249mm curve you plan, but not all. You may want to find a way to step up to a larger pair of curves if you can. In general, 315mm is regarded as a "safe" radius for Japanese trains.

Guest Closed Account 1

Pic #2 is for 4 tracks only unless you use another Walkway extension piece from another expansion kit.

Since it is a small layout why not go with double track wherever you can?

It'll clean up the curves and assure you a tighter radius. Kato 381mm is the minimum you want to run most trains.

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking about using double track curve sections but I don't think they will work due to space in between the tracks after leaving the platform areas.

Spiff