JR east marks Tohoku Shinkansen 30 years of service

dpkworldwide

Omedetou!  :laugh:

All that time and staggering number of passengers carried, yet still with incredible on-time performance and no fatal crashes. Pretty amazing.

bikkuri bahn

Omedetou!  :laugh:

All that time and staggering number of passengers carried, yet still with incredible on-time performance and no fatal crashes. Pretty amazing.

Yes, quite.  In fact, it may actually be safer to ride the shinkansen than to walk to your local post office or grocery store (definitely moreso than driving to those places).

One of the reasons why they introduced double-decker E4 Shinkansen trainsets on the Tohoku line was the fact it proved to be a lot more popular than anticipated even when the line was only Omiya to Morioka. Today, the top-end Hayabusa train with the E5 trainset goes from Tokyo to Shin-Aomori in just over three hours, and starting in 2015, the train will go all the way to the new Shin-Hakodate Station through the Seikan Tunnel.

Looks like JR East used one of its remaining 200 Series trainsets for this celebration.  :cool:

Davo Dentetsu

One of the reasons why they introduced double-decker E4 Shinkansen trainsets on the Tohoku line was the fact it proved to be a lot more popular than anticipated even when the line was only Omiya to Morioka. Today, the top-end Hayabusa train with the E5 trainset goes from Tokyo to Shin-Aomori in just over three hours, and starting in 2015, the train will go all the way to the new Shin-Hakodate Station through the Seikan Tunnel.

Looks like JR East used one of its remaining 200 Series trainsets for this celebration.  :cool:

Glad the 200s are still kicking around, the last link to the original and nicest designs of them all in my opinion.

Glad the 200s are still kicking around, the last link to the original and nicest designs of them all in my opinion.
Hoping they won't go out of service fast, I must have at least once rode a pre-300 series Shinkansen in my life. 300 series is not possible unfortunately. :sad:
One of the reasons why they introduced double-decker E4 Shinkansen trainsets on the Tohoku line was the fact it proved to be a lot more popular than anticipated even when the line was only Omiya to Morioka.

The reasoning for the E1 and E4 series' date=' AFAIK, has more to do with the nature of the line then the popularity (otherwise the Tōkaidō Shinkansen, which by it's self is much more popular, would also be using double deck stock as opposed to the 16 car single deck formations it uses). Other then the Tōkaidō Shinkansen which sees a more constant flow of passengers throughout the day, the Tōhoku Shinkansen passenger flow is more akin a commuter line, lots of traffic at set rush hours (morning/evening) with a lot less traffic in between. That's probably also the reason why historically JR East/JNR (eastern Shinkansen) used max 12 car formations* (nowadays 8/10 seems to be the norm) as opposed to 16 car formations on the Tōkaidō Shinkansen, while the stations where designed with max 16 car formations in mind.

Looks like JR East used one of its remaining 200 Series trainsets for this celebration.
Probably the same one they used for the 25th anniversary =)

It is indeed the same formation used with the 25th aniversary, K47.

Hoping they won't go out of service fast' date=' I must have at least once rode a pre-300 series Shinkansen in my life. 300 series is not possible unfortunately. [/quote']

Unless you're able to visit Japan within a year I'm afraid you're out of luck. Of the 11 K formations on property last November, only 7 remain, the other 4 having been scrapped (K48, K21, K49 and K44). The next 4 E5 formations (U12~U15) are earmarked to replace either 200系 or E1系 (the first two, M1 and M2 where scrapped early this month). So, while it's not 100% certain there wont be any 200系 formations by next year, I think it's highly likely that they will be completely retired by this point next year.

for those interested, a cab ride on the Tōhoku Shinkansen (up till Utsunomiya) in 1985 (after the opening of the Omya-Ueno extension)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HelCUrUnru8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbNvGZHbGPk

As well as a video taken in the late 80's/early 90's back when both the Tōhoku and Jōetsu Shinkansen where the domain of 200系 exclusively (note the original 13 car H formations (later lengthened to 16 cars) and the mix of 200系0番台 (G and some leftover E formations) 200系1000/1500番台 (F formations) and 200系200番台 (F formations) Types)

Enjoy! (and especially enjoy the ghostly howl of those 200系 MT201 traction motors!)

@200系

The Shinkansen guy is here, named after the train I want to ride, but probably won't be able to. *cries* I don't think I will get to Japan in a year.

What are the oldest Shinkansen left after the 200 series is retired? I guess the E1? What after that?

bikkuri bahn

I like the in-train announcement for connecting trains in the last video, when the train is about to arrive Fukushima- "Ou main line Ltd. express Tsubasa #9 for Akita departing at 15:38 from platform 4"...(485 series).

@bikkuri bahn

Hmmm.... where I live it's standard practice to do that in all trains. The newer commuter trains have an automatic system like in Japan, but in the older ones and express trains it is announced manually at each station. I don't know about the only two high speed trains, but I guess they do too.

Densha,

I know the feeling. While I'm elated that I at least scored a ride on a 200系 (with the added luck of getting the last in service 200系0番台 at that moment, which felt special (for me at least)) while I expected to be too late (if the Tōhoku earthquake hadn't messed up the E5系 production schedule I most likely would have been), I still feel sad I couldn't get to Japan in time to experience 0系 operations in person. same for the 100系 which was still in service when I visited, but only on the Sanyō Shinkansen while I stayed in Tokyo.

What are the oldest Shinkansen left after the 200 series is retired? I guess the E1? What after that?

The E1系 would indeed be the oldest, Formation M3 to be specific delivered on the 6th of March 1995 (the 4 remaining E1系 are all 1995 build). Closely following behind would be E3系0番台 formation R1 delivered on the 28th of March 1995, and E2系0番台 Formation N1 (E2系 prototype) delivered on the 6th of June 1995.

Taking full series however, the E2系0番台(N2~N13,J2*~J6)/E3系0番台*(R2~R16)/E4系(P1~P4) and 500系(W2~W5, now V2~V5, the surplus cars and full formation W1 being scrapped) all have a few 1997 build formations/cars still running. On the Tōkaidō Shinkansen the 1999 build 700系 formations (C2~C11, the prototype C0 being build in 1997) are the oldest operating.

-Sander

*E2系 and E3系 even have a few (late) 1996 builds in service.

Wow!

Indeed the shinkansen guy 200系 ! *Bows & salutes!* Thanks for the infomation!

Congratulations to Tohoku Shinkansen! Bansai! Bansai!

I'm proud to be one of the contributing 1.94 billion!  :grin

But unhappy as i totally missed the E5 Hayate service and ended up all the time on the E2 instead....  :lipssealed:

bikkuri bahn
Hmmm.... where I live it's standard practice to do that in all trains.Hmmm.... where I live it's standard practice to do that in all trains.

For the nostalgia, not the novelty (the Tsubasa 485 series was replaced with the Yamagata shinkansen shortly after the period documented in the video).

@200系

Really, after the 200 series is retired, there's no Shinkansen older than 17/18 years left.

But unhappy as i totally missed the E5 Hayate service and ended up all the time on the E2 instead....  :lipssealed:

I often prefer to ride older models, since they get out of service earlier. The E5 will be in service for years, and the E2 shorter. And the 200 series even more shorter.

Specially for 200 Series fans - K41 and K26 at Tokyo Station on a wet Saturday pm 9 June 12.

Have you taken it yourself? I want to complain like a child now, oh the jealousy.

"Have you taken it yourself? I want to complain like a child now, oh the jealousy."

Came back last week from 10 days in Japan - my biannual treat to myself. Stayed in Shin-Osaka, next to the station and ranged from Hiroshima up to Tokyo spending every day on a train going somewhere thanks to the wonderfull JR Rail Pass.  :grin

I have worked through the Sanyo and Tokaido Shinkansen lines stopping at and photographing at every station - now doing the same for the Sanyo and Tokaido main lines. Started in 2003 when I got my first digicam and plan to keep going back for as long as I can.

post-302-13569930919753_thumb.jpg

post-302-13569930920723_thumb.jpg