Kato 10-499 KiHa 201

Davo Dentetsu

Davo Dentetsu

A question regarding the 201 3-car set.

There is a set available locally nice and cheap, not bad for quite an attractive set.  But, it has been marked down due to a missing coupler on the inside coach.

Now, I decided that rather than risk the purchase and wing out the problem in my usual dumb way, I thought I would see those in the know first (yes, looking at you lot :P ).  It was suggested that one of the outer ends could sacrifice it's coupler and put on the middle coach end.  But is there any problems that could arise (i.e. different couplers, different heights etc.), is it actually technically possible to do (I don't know if those couplers are easily removed or not) or do other Kato products fit the bill for replacement bits?

As I say, I don't own the product in question yet, so answers I do have are sketchy.

kato-10-498-499.jpg

Did you check the Kato catalogue for spares?  It's postage that will be a killer on a single item like that but if you put the part on the list for your next order it might be a worthwhile purchase.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Davo Dentetsu

Only have a 2010 catalogue here, was all I could purchase locally.  No listing for either 498 or 499.

In any case, I don't mind doing the required surgery on it if it's possible, as the chances of it running in multiple would be rather slim.  Anyway, it would still have a functional cab end coupler if I wanted to do so anyway.

Davo Dentetsu

That looks like the chaps.  Again with the sold out, but this time the button worked for email confirmation, so will leave it on there just in case.

Davo Dentetsu

So it was purchased today and the coupler issue... was rather surprisingly easy to swap round.  I thought it was too good to be true.

Best bloody words I've said all day. :P  The lights at the cab ends are the wrong polarity for the direction.  My clumsy solution was to turn the motor around, but needless to say, Dave's cocked it up a bit and it's in the hands of someone safer to put back together again.

Trust me, it's safer that way. :D  Hopefully some pictures next time.

Unfortunately, my next question isn't strictly model, it's more prototype.  I wondered if anyone could shed more info on the stickers for the cab end boards (blue and red ones).  Plus really struggling to make out the specific destinations for it.

bikkuri bahn
I wondered if anyone could shed more info on the stickers for the cab end boards (blue and red ones).  Plus really struggling to make out the specific destinations for it.

Some pictures of the sheet will solve that problem.

Davo Dentetsu

Oops, have neglected a reply to this one, however, on;y just got the train and box back at the weekend.

532267_10151051931929842_1920350989_n.jpg

So luckily the factory bit for the coupler fits from the outer end into the motor coach with no issues.  I can't remember how it was explained that the lights worked in the proper direction.  Heh, I'm just going to nod and smile and be happy it now works good. :D

OK, so looking at the leaflet, the part number required will be 4526C3.  Hopefully will have more success finding one of these more than the DD51 end, which still hasn't shown up in any stock lists for anyone...

It's just a guess but couldn't it be that those couplers are a standard and that you don't have to choose the exact part for that certain train?

Davo Dentetsu

Time to play Match That Symbol!

This listing is also used on JR 731, E231, E233, E127, E217, E231... well, seems there is heaps that use it, whatever it's called.

post-880-13569930994673_thumb.jpg

But I don't see an item number on your picture.

And do you actually need one with or without a cover over it?

Also, do you have a larger/bigger picture of that icon and the train itself as well?

And you could take a look here: www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?Typ1_c=104&scope=1&scope2=0&itkey=kato+coupler

Davo Dentetsu

I mentioned 4526C3 earlier, but didn't spot the middle ones had a different number as well:  6070C3.  Haven't seen neither as yet on any list.

The covers themselves are still in the box, only used one of the six provided, so plenty left.

My mobile has given up taking half-decent pics, so haven't been able to get any clearer with it.  However, it is the same table that appears in the catalogues with the various feature explanations.

Then I don't know anymore, except for that I found this:

http://www.e-katomodels2.com/shop/g/g4526C3/

http://www.e-katomodels2.com/shop/g/g6070C3/

I assume that this is an official shop, and I think you have to be a resident of Japan as well. The only option is that there is someone living Japan who would want to order it and forward to you I think.

If it's possible, could you take a pic of the car upside down? So that we at least know which method of attaching the coupler is used.