Riding San'in Main Line from Shimonoseki to Tottori?

Sacto1985

Question: is it possible to ride the San'in Main Line from Shimonoseki Station all the way to Tottori Station, even if it requires a change of trains along the way? Yes, I know it's going to be a slow ride given the speed limits of the DMU's on this line....

bikkuri bahn

Yes, it is.  I did this trip about ten years ago, when the kiha 181's were still used on many of the limited express services.  You'll have to make changes of train, and it will be an all-day trip.

Yes, it is.  I did this trip about ten years ago, when the kiha 181's were still used on many of the limited express services.  You'll have to make changes of train, and it will be an all-day trip.

Thanks for the information. Now, does anyone know how do people in Western Japan (well, at least Himeji and further west) get to the famous town of Tottori? I know that from Kyoto and Osaka, you can ride limited-stop express trains to Tottori.

The Super Inaba from Okayama or the Super Hakuto from Kyoto go to or through Tottori.  If you're boarding at Himeji or as far west as Kamigori, you can take the Super Hakuto.

Shimonoseki is an interesting starting point... Are you there right now? I lived there for a year as an English teacher... Miss that place...

Shimonoseki is an interesting starting point... Are you there right now? I lived there for a year as an English teacher... Miss that place...

I'd wish! I'm in Sacramento, CA USA right now.

The reason why I mentioned this was the fact the JR West San'in Main Line between Tottori and Hatabu Stations has to be some of the most lonely running for a JR main line. I really want to know what kind of trains run on this line.

I'd wish! I'm in Sacramento, CA USA right now.

The reason why I mentioned this was the fact the JR West San'in Main Line between Tottori and Hatabu Stations has to be some of the most lonely running for a JR main line. I really want to know what kind of trains run on this line.

I unfortunately wasn't crazy about trains when I lived there... Observant but it wasn't a hobby till I left. That said, all the trains leaving shimonoseki on the Sanin line were 2-car diesel units painted yellow and very vintage... I only took that line once, most of my action was on the Sanyo line or heading across to Kyushu.