The Ghan's Holiday Preparation - Kyushu Trains

I'm currently using Hyperdia to plan the following day trips from Hakata:

1. Sunday 7th October: Hakata - Nagasaki - Hakata. Question: How can I know if I'm on a 783 or 883 series train? Hyperdia doesn't seem to say. 

2. Monday 8th October: Hakata - Yufuin - Beppu - Hakata.  I want to do the Yufuin no Mori on the first leg and then the Sonic on the last leg.  Anyone done this?  Is it worth doing the round trip?  I've got to sell the idea to Mrs_Ghan ... or should we just do Hakata-Yufuin-Hakata?

3. Tuesday 9th October: Hakata - Kagoshima - Hakata.  We want to get down to Kagoshima and across to the base of the volcano. Our plan is to have a look around and lunch there.  I'm looking to do different routes in each direction, but I want to ride the 800 series in one direction, probably back to Hataka if possible.  Anyone done this? 

Advice greatly appreciated.

One difficulty I'm having is I don't know how to be sure what series of train I'm riding on some services.  Help always welcome.

Cheers

The_Ghan

bikkuri bahn

re #3: all 6 car Tsubame and Sakura services are 800 series.  I rode an 800 series from Hakata to Kumamoto last year (Tsubame all stops service).

Hi The_Ghan:

Yes unfortunately Hyperia doesnt tell you the train make, just the number, which is also a problem which i encoutered when i was planning and ended up on board the 700 and E2 so many times and none on the other trains, which could have been possible if Hyperia indicated which train model it will deploy for that service...

Anyway, here is a site which i find rather useful for you, since you'll be in the Kyushu area :

http://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/english/time_table/time_table.html

Hope that helps!

bikkuri bahn

This timetable is in Japanese, but it tells which trains are 800 series (i.e. the ones not labeled as N700)- departures from Kagoshima Chuo, starting from the first train of the day.

The other option is to buy a full size JTB timetable, which lists all shinkansen train types.

2. Monday 8th October: Hakata - Yufuin - Beppu - Hakata.  I want to do the Yufuin no Mori on the first leg and then the Sonic on the last leg.  Anyone done this?  Is it worth doing the round trip?  I've got to sell the idea to Mrs_Ghan ... or should we just do Hakata-Yufuin-Hakata?

In terms of train riding, I can't really say. The Beppu-Hakata route is probably more interesting than the Hakata-Yufuin (Kumamoto side of Kyushu).

In terms of visits, I think that you won't be able to visit both Yufuin and Beppu. Most of the touristic parts of Beppu are a bit far from the station. What you can do is go and relax to an onsen, but you can probably do the same in the quiet Yufuin. I really loved that place, it's peaceful and I had one of my best overnight stays in a great youth hostel.

Don't forget to book your seats for the Yufuin no Mori as soon as you have your JR Pass. I can get really crowded, better safe than sorry: I missed it twice and the second time I wanted to book more than two weeks in advance.

Hope I've been useful! :-)

Kumo,

Yes, but I'll only pick up the Rail Pass two days before I want to go to Yufuin.  I'm planning to use the service on a Monday.  I'll see how we go.  We'll be staying in Hataka and Yufuin is a day trip for us.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Kumamoto castle is nice, but is a reconstruction. Not quite as nice as Himeji, but fewer tourists probably.

Jeff

Kumo,

Yes, but I'll only pick up the Rail Pass two days before I want to go to Yufuin.  I'm planning to use the service on a Monday.  I'll see how we go.  We'll be staying in Hataka and Yufuin is a day trip for us.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I hope you will be lucky then! :-)

On a monday in october it should be fine. We wend in august and during the weekend, not the same! ^^,

Kumamoto castle is nice, but is a reconstruction. Not quite as nice as Himeji, but fewer tourists probably.

Jeff

Yes, it's a nice castle and a great visit. But the main difference is that Kumamoto is a reconstructed concrete castle and Himeji is an original! :-)

But Kumamoto is really a nice visit, and really accessible now with the Shinkansen!!

Kumo,

I'm not sure how original Himeji Jo is, but when I was there in 1984 it had a lift in the main pagoda.  I seem to remember either reading or being told by my highschool teacher, when I was living in Japan, that the castle had fallen into disrepair at the end of the feudal system and was sold for a pittance.  I thought it had been fully renovated in the 1950's.  But if you mean it isn't a a post-war concrete reconstruction, then I agree with you.  Certainly the main structure dates back to the 1600's, at least that's what I was led to believe. 

Also, I was told that parts of the TV drama series Shogun (1980) were filmed at Himeji Jo, although I've never checked that.  Again, this came from my highschool teacher in Japan.  I must admit, I have James Clavell to thank, in part at least, for my interest in Japan and I'm an avid reader of his works.

We will be stopping at Himeji again this year.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Himeji is original, just fully renovated. its spectacular, but can have crowds. gardens just next to himeji are very nice and great for taking photos of the overall castle.

yes himeji was used in shogun. need to watch that again, have not see it in ages!

http://letsjapan.wordpress.com/2010/09/17/movie-locales-part-1-himeji-castle-you-only-live-twice-shogun/

Kumamoto is a concrete, post war reconstruction but still very nice.

been to both and enjoyed them both.

jeff

Thanks Jeff,

Getting back on topic - see my first post - I can swap Monday and Tuesday if it helps with my Yufuin no Mori booking.  The idea of going to Kagoshima was (for me) to ride an 800 series.  I was trying to talk Mrs Ghan into it.  Perhaps a shorter trip to Kumamoto / Aso will do.  Anyone done the trip up to Aso?

Cheers

The_Ghan

bikkuri bahn

You can easily get a ride on a 800 series to Kumamoto, I think some all-stops services actually terminate there.  I recommend Kumamoto- a nice city with a tram system and the Kumaden (never had time to ride that one though, pity).  I have been to both Himeji and Kumamoto Castles, and though Himeji has a more impressive keep (and more original), I thought the walls of Kumamoto Castle were more impressive as well as its moat area/gardens, and the view from the top was better, Kumamoto being a more much aesthetically pleasing city than industrial Himeji. Also, if you like tonkotsu ramen, Kumamoto ramen is recommended- different from the Hakata version in that it has garlic chips, and I think a bit milder taste.

• Like 1

Getting back on topic - see my first post - I can swap Monday and Tuesday if it helps with my Yufuin no Mori booking.  The idea of going to Kagoshima was (for me) to ride an 800 series.  I was trying to talk Mrs Ghan into it.  Perhaps a shorter trip to Kumamoto / Aso will do.

I think a day in Kumamoto is more enjoyable than one in Kagoshima. There is at least three things worth seeing in Kumamoto:

1/ The castle (concrete one true, but the walls are impressive indeed and the visit is nice)

2/ The Suizenji-Koen, a garden that symbolizes the Tokaido road

3/ And the Hosokawa Gyoubutei, an old samurai house behind the castle.

I'm not being objective because it was raining A LOT when I went to Kagoshima but the only things I really enjoyed there were two museum about the Meiji restauration.

If you "just" aim to ride a 800 Series (which has the nicest Shinkansen interior IMHO, except maybe for the Hayabusa Grand Class that I never rode), I'd advice you to visit Kumamoto!

Here are two blog entries of my trip to Japan about Kumamoto, it's in french but you can probably google-translate it and of course look the pictures: ;-)

http://japon.loriskumo.com/2010/04/les-impressionnantes-murailles-du-chateau-de-kumamoto/

http://japon.loriskumo.com/2010/06/un-monde-de-samourais-sous-la-pluie-de-kumamoto/

Anyone done the trip up to Aso?

I did, twice.

The train route is gorgeous. Really rural and authentic. The trains on Kyushu being as comfy as possible it's a pleasant ride!

Here is my blog post about Aso (not train related though):

http://japon.loriskumo.com/2010/06/aso-san-volcan-gigantesque-et-actif/

;-)

Kumo,

You've sold me!  I'm going to Kumamoto instead of Kagoshima.  We shall see the three attractions as suggested by you and, depending on the weather, time, and our mood, maybe make the trip to Aso.

I really love your French blog too.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Here's an interesting problem:

I'm looking at JR Kyushu Timetable and Hyperdia for trave from Hakata to Kumamoto on the morning of October 9th.

Why are the two timetables completely different?  Which is correct?

I was hoping to catch the 09:15 Sakura service from Hakata, but does it actually exist?

Also, JR Rail Pass (Green) - do I have to pay any extra fee?  Looking at Hyperdia there is a basic fee of ¥2,070, then a seat fare of ¥4,410.  As I understand it, the JR Rail Pass Green will cover all fares except: Nozomi, Mizuho, and any JR journey that uses private lines for part of the journey, right?

Cheers

The_Ghan

If I remember correctly, easily the fastest way to Kagoshima from Hakata is ride the Kyushū Shinkansen to Kagoshima-Chuō Station. If you're using the Japan Rail Pass, be aware you cannot ride the Mizuho train (unless you pay full fare), but you can ride the Sakura train (which is probably almost as fast anyway).

Only going as far as Kumamoto now Sacto.  :grin

Probably a Tsubame 800 service south in the morning and a Sakura N700 back in the afternoon.

Cheers

The_Ghan