Rail Crossing Sounds.

Hey guys!

Just a quick question about level crossings in Japan.

I never noticed it when I lived there, but after seeing this video, I definitely do remember there being 2 different sounds heard at level crossings. I also never heard them both come from the same crossing (most of my experience with crossings was from on the train as opposed to on the street). Does any one know what the difference in sounds signifies? I noticed the kanji on the sign changes but it's too small for me to breakdown and translate...

• Like 2

Just a quick answer ... I'm pretty sure the chimes are for JR and the bells are for private railways.

Cheers

The_Ghan

bikkuri bahn

As The Ghan said.  Also, regarding the train indicator signs, for the Ichibata Dentetsu it's "densha" (電車), while for JR it's "kisha" (汽車), meaning "electric train" and "train" respectively.  This is likely a remnant of old practice and regional language usage, when the Ichibata was the only operator of electric trains and JR predecessor JNR ran steam hauled trains.  The same situation exists here in Hokkaido, where traditionally people called JR (JNR) trains "kisha"- "densha" referred to the Sapporo streetcars exclusively.

That's crazy considering both sounds are coming from the same signal! And it appears JR even has it's own set of lights on top of the other one... I guess living in Japan stuff like that does make sense... it's been two years since I returned to Canada though so it just seems needlessly complicated........ Japan? Needlessly complicated? NAAAHHHHH....

Not crazy.  You'll notice the lights work differently too.  It is because the different companies are each responsible for safety.  One system must work independently of the other.  You can see the lights work differently, you must also hear the sound work differently.  Otherwise, how would you know that your audiable warning is working properly?

Where the lines are private only or JR only there is only one sound, even if there are multiple tracks.

I hope this bit of info helps.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I should clarify, it's crazy in a north American standard because there is only ever one set of signals for track. That said, I guess n. American companies are more likely to use each others right of way and thus their signals than build their own parallel track and signals as is the case in Japan. It just seems silly that they wouldn't partner on the signal maintanence. It's kinda like how all the railways have their own smart card payment system and hey all kinda overlap but not completely leaving holes and forcing the user to research which card is going to be best for their purposes... Pasmo, Suica or one of the many others....

I should clarify, it's crazy in a north American standard because there is only ever one set of signals for track. That said, I guess n. American companies are more likely to use each others right of way and thus their signals than build their own parallel track and signals as is the case in Japan. It just seems silly that they wouldn't partner on the signal maintanence. It's kinda like how all the railways have their own smart card payment system and hey all kinda overlap but not completely leaving holes and forcing the user to research which card is going to be best for their purposes... Pasmo, Suica or one of the many others....

In the US (I will not speak for Canada) but the Federal Railroad Administration sets the standards for signage and signalling not the railroads themselves. Granted the RR's still have some control of the style of signal patterns used CPL vs standard, the placement setbacks, timing and interface are all federally mandated, as is the signage and appropriation of at-grade signals for vehicle road traffic. In 20 years I was with the WS as weekend train crew, I spent two with the track crew to get myself back in to shape, and I recall the meetings we had about the issue of having the state install the new at-grade, and the debate was pressed about getting gates to go with out lights. The FRA gave little to few options i nthe matter, and as a result ended up with neither lights nor gates.

Yuh, but that video is in Japan, not America.

Crazy is where different States have completely different track gauges .... like Australia.

Cheers

The_Ghan

bikkuri bahn
It just seems silly that they wouldn't partner on the signal maintanence.

JR West and Ichibata Dentetsu are two independent companies, and given that JR West is a giant, likely Ichibata would be forced to buy the JR West standard equipment (including the train detection equipment for the grade crossing).  Why would Ichibata, which is not a rich company, want to spend extra when their existing equipment (and relations with suppliers) is just fine?  I for one am thankful that there so many fiercely independent private railway companies, the embodiment of free enterprise, that provide their transportation services and are the main reason for the great diversity of the railway scene here, in a world otherwise dominated by cookie cutter standardization.

It's kinda like how all the railways have their own smart card payment system and hey all kinda overlap but not completely leaving holes and forcing the user to research which card is going to be best for their purposes... Pasmo, Suica or one of the many others....

Kind of making a major out of a minor, eh?  If any other country, save perhaps Switzerland, had the "problems" and "inconveniences" of the Japanese passenger railway system, they would be dubbed "all galaxy" in passenger satisfaction.

• Like 1

I think my tone is lost in my text... I have nothing but the highest reverence for the Japanese railways... That said, you have provided me with a wealth of in-depth knowledge that goes far deeper than I was expecting or asking. Thank you! :grin

tantousha,

It was a good question to ask.  To summarise:

1. When there is a single operator there is a single type of sound.  That operator is responsible for its track and signalling and crossing lights;

2. When there is two operators, each with their own track, there are two types of sound.  Each operator is responsible for its own track and signalling as far as possible.  The crossing booms and poles etc, would be maintained by one company.

3. When there is two operators, with one using the other's track, then there is a single type of sound, even though there are two operators.  The owner of the track is responsible for the track and signalling, so only one type of sound is required.  The other company's lease fee helps cover the cost.  When I say one type of sound, I mean chimes or bells.  It is common to have different pitch chime or bell from either direction as this also helps ensure that the right equipment is operating at the right time.

Keep asking good questions ...  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

Interestingly, the JR chime crossing sound is very familiar to anime fans--several anime series I've seen that have scenes near railroad crossings/stations I hear this sound.

Speaking of crossing sounds, here in Sacramento, California (a major railfanning hotspot because of Union Pacific Railroad's J.E. Davis Railyard just east of the city), we have two types of rail crossing sounds--a mechanical bell and now an electronic bell (the mechanical bells are being phased out). I wonder do any Japanese private railway now use electronic bells for crossing warning signals....