Last day of full diesel railcar operations on the Sassho Line

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

I was too knackered from a busy work week to wake up early for a proper lineside/platform edge photo shoot, but wanting to do something, I went to Sapporo Station this evening after work to ride a DMU train on the last evening of all-kiha operations on the Sassho Line.  Starting tomorrow, June 1, 70% of trains on this line will be EMUs.  Gone will be the six car DMU consists this line was noted for.  

The first picture is a pamphlet advertising the changeover to majority electric operations, and the change in schedule. The EMU pictured is a 733 series.  The second is the train I rode, a 19:10 departure from Sapporo Station, bound for Ishikari Tobetsu.  Consist was 4 kiha 40 and two kiha 143 units.  The third pic is the tail end of the train (kiha 143), taken just after twilight at Shinoro Station in the northern part of Sapporo.

post-167-13569930774389_thumb.jpg

post-167-13569930777156_thumb.jpg

post-167-13569930780026_thumb.jpg

Nice! Reminded me of my Sapporo trip where i took the HET-Kiha 183... A 3-hour journey from Sapporo to Hakodate..

Thanks for sharing!  :cheesy

bikkuri bahn

It was a nice afternoon today (Sunday), with clear skies, so I decided to take a short ride on the new electrified services on the Sassho Line.  I caught a 16:00 departure which was in the hands of a 733 series.  The interior had that new car smell.  I was happy to see that the center door in the cab area allows passengers to see out the front, unlike reports to the contrary over at the SSC forum.  I took a few pictures with my smartphone camera,  please excuse the poor quality.

First, an interior banner advertisement celebrating the beginning of emu operations.  These were hung in all the cars in lieu of regular ads. That's my finger in the upper left.

Second,  my train departing Shinoro Station, tail end of a 733 series.

Third, what is this?  A kiha 40/Kiha 143 train, one of the 30% of services that remain diesel railcar operated, until the autumn timetable revision.  This was my return train.

Fourth, a view of the cab and view ahead.

Fifth, these notices are required, as people in Hokkaido tend to crowd the vestibules and entrance areas on trains and subways.  This is less of a problem in Tokyo, where crowding is such that people are pushed into the train by the sheer number of boarding passengers during rush hours.

The emu's are nice, offering smooth acceleration with none of the somewhat irritating slow coasting at idle of the diesel railcars prevalent on the elevated portions of this line.  Of course, people living lineside are benefiting- with less noise and diesel fumes.  Right now, rolling stock diversity is pretty good- I saw a six car 721/733 combo on a down train.  Those 721's have nice walkover seats, which are welcome on rides longer than 20 minutes.  The 733 I rode, which has typical commuter longitudinal seating, nevertheless was comfortable- thick plush seats, but firm enough to provide support.

post-167-13569930791285_thumb.jpg

post-167-13569930794748_thumb.jpg

post-167-13569930797919_thumb.jpg

post-167-1356993080038_thumb.jpg

post-167-13569930802679_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the review, Bikkuri.  I think that 'please move along' sign could be useful in a lot of places, not just in Japan :grin.  Check out the JNR oscillating fan in the KIHA40 cab!

Thanks for the review, Bikkuri.  I think that 'please move along' sign could be useful in a lot of places, not just in Japan :grin.

Yes it could, a few months ago something bad happened with a train service resulting in half of the usual length and I had to push myself through people Tokyo style because they were all standing next to the doors.

bikkuri bahn's post also reminds me that when I finally get to Japan I definitely have to ride an old KiHa, in a few years they will probably be in service less and less.

If you make it to Japan in the next few years I think you'll be ok, many hundred KIHA40s were built, and the vast majority are still in service all over the country.

no because it was Bikkuri's personal trip

anyway i was meant to go up there this august but had to make a change of plans due to time restraints....

next year maybe.