The Ghan's Holiday Preparation - Laundry

bikkuri bahn
Does any forum member know of a Laundromat at or near Shinagawa Station?

There seem to be a few in Kita-Shinagawa, one stop on the Keikyu Line (local trains only) from Shinagawa Sta.  This site is in Japanese, but if you click on the area beside the address, a map pops up:

http://www.shiiba-s.jp/laundry2-3-4.html

The Japanese term is "coin laundry" (コインランドリー) or "koinrandoree".  KIta Shinagawa is a neat shitamachi Tokyo neighborhood, I've been there a few times to take pics of the Keikyu grade crossing and truss bridge over the Tokaido Line.

I also forgot to mention if you stay in ryokans, some of them have washing machines. my first trip to japan in 84 i was a grad student and bumming around for almost 4 weeks so found many inexpensive ryokans to stay in and many had a machine to use. nice thing was they were just pay them 100yen at checkout and they usually had soap. of course its not like a western style room with your own bathroom (although some of them ive stayed in have them), but usually were a nice japanese experience. hard to find in the big cities, but stayed in a really great one in kyoto a lot, the three sisters.

jeff

Hi Westfalen

The Nikko  Hotel Narita Airport  has more regular shuttle bus times that the Tokoyo Inn around the corner. It also has a few different restaurants with a variety of meal choices, some of which are reasonably priced. There is a Lawsons inside the hotel foyer.  The $60 single rooms are in the old wing but are still big  by Tokyo standards and good. The Hotel has quite a posh feel about it. The  breakfast restaurant has glass walls overlooking a garden.   I think it is the transit hotel for Japan Airlines and things run very  smoothly. ( No self service washing machine though)

The first NEX in the morning takes a long time to work its way into Tokyo Station but by 9am they seem to do the run in 60 minutes or so.   www.hyperdia.com

cheers....Eisenbahn

I'll probably start a thread on my trip after I get back from the USA and start planning it properly. I stayed at the Nikko on a tour in 1994, probably in what is now the 'old wing'.