The Ghan's Holiday Preparation - Luggage Compartments and Baggage Size

As we are planning our holiday we have come across some information that leads us to believe that most trains in Japan don't have a luggage compartment.  In EuroStar and Thalys in Europe there are luggage racks or compartments at the end of each car by the door.  Do express trains and shinkansen have this in Japan? 

If not, what do you guys do with your bags?  All on the overhead racks or what?

Also, what size bag would you recommend as a maximum size?

Cheers

The_Ghan

yes few if any trains have a small baggage area at the end of the car, if its there its tiny. rack is small. i would do with smaller bag and not hard side as you can cram a soft side easier into a limited rack space. my last trip i used a soft side bag that i just hoisted over my shoulder and it went on the racks fine. my wife's was a semi soft bag with a wheelie built in and its hard end made it not fit so easily in some of the rack, but we were always able to fit it in.

the lighter the better, you run into stairs all the time and escalator or elevator can be a schlep or can be hard to find.

the other option is to use luggage services that will pick your bag up at your inn, transport it via train, bus, truck and deliver it to you next inn. if not going too far they get there the same day. if you are staying a few days then just take an overnight with you on the train if you dont want to schelp your whole load.

have fun!

cheers

jeff

Ugh!

We were thinking of 2 x Samsonite Cosmolite bags plus a backpack for carry-on and laptop.  The Cosmolite dimensions are 27" x 19" x 12".  You must remember that I'm travelling with a woman.

Any other thoughts?

Cheers

The_Ghan

how long again are you travelling?

i would suggest small as possible for tokyo but other areas would not be as much of a problem having a large case like that.

other thing to think of is getting on and off busses and trams if you expect to use public transportation between your inn and the train station, those can actually be the most challenging if its crowded!

maybe someone will know more of current availability and cost of shipping bags between inns and you could have one big bag to ship and a smaller one to schlep.

if its summer you can get away with much lighter and less stuff than our spring trip to scotland this year!

jeff

bikkuri bahn

Large suitcases are OK when you ride the shinkansen- there are spaces behind the bulkhead seats on each end that will accomodate a large size suitcase.  For other ltd. express trains, other than the airport trains, you are better using suitcases that are light enough for you to lift up and place on the overhead racks (i.e. midsize and smaller).  If you are using the base city style of travel, best to go first to your hotel and leave your big luggage there, and then sightsee. There seem (emphasis on "seem") to be few left luggage counters at railway stations, plenty of lockers for (thinner)midsize and under luggage though. As mentioned previously, if you are anticipating a big travel day on many types of trains, the luggage delivery services are worth a look, they are very reliable and are able to deliver within a time period you specify (in two hour increments). You can have the hotel front desk handle the paperwork for you.

Ugh!

We were thinking of 2 x Samsonite Cosmolite bags plus a backpack for carry-on and laptop.  The Cosmolite dimensions are 27" x 19" x 12".  You must remember that I'm travelling with a woman.

Any other thoughts?

Cheers

The_Ghan

Last year I managed for three and a half weeks with a bag about that size and a backpack to carry my computer and other stuff when I went on a day trip. On my last trip I tended to spend a few nights in each place so I wasn't carrying my main bag around all the time.

My bag isn't a Samsonite though, I bought it in 1998 at a Japanese version of Crazy Clarks in Akihabara for about $20 as something cheap and expendable to carry home the trains I bought. I've got quite a bit of use out of it, it's going on its fifth trip back to Japan in December.

disturbman

As a rule, you don't need more than a week of clothing when traveling. Usually, a baggage that you can store in the overhead luggage compartment of a jetliner is enough. You can always do your laundry on the way (and remember to clean the machine if you put dying powder in the soap compartment!).

Last time in Japan I remember having problem with my medium sized backpack (5 kilos of clothing). The worst was to carried it around in the Yamanote line. The train was too packed for it. It made for a very uncomfortable ride.

And if you pick up a few train sets and stuff, the best is still to mailed them to yourself instead of carrying them around. They take up space very quickly. ;)

Ugh!

Any other thoughts?

Cheers

The_Ghan

Last year I managed for three and a half weeks with a bag about that size and a backpack to carry my computer and other stuff when I went on a day trip. On my last trip I tended to spend a few nights in each place so I wasn't carrying my main bag around all the time.

My bag isn't a Samsonite though, I bought it in 1998 at a Japanese version of Crazy Clarks in Akihabara for about $20 as something cheap and expendable to carry home the trains I bought. I've got quite a bit of use out of it, it's going on its fifth trip back to Japan in December.

WOMEN  :laugh:

how long again are you travelling?

i would suggest small as possible for tokyo but other areas would not be as much of a problem having a large case like that.

keitaro: probably three weeks.  This is why we will have a series of "base camps" and take day trips.  Obviously we won't be carrying our luggage, except the backpack, on day trips.  We'll only be carrying those bags between hotels ... yes, "women!!!"

cteno4: Excellent point.  As I haven't booked hotels yet, but I usually go for something within about 400m of the station.  That said, I'll be seeking suggestions for some locations later.

bikkuri: The baggage service looks like a good idea, but at Y2000 per bag it soon adds up.  I shall talk to Mrs Ghan about this but ATM we are planning to only be travelling 2-3 hours between hotels, and stopping for 3-4 nights in each place.  I agree, we always drop the bags at the hotel and sightsee.

West: we bought those Samsonites for our last Eurpoean trip.  They are each about 2kg lighter than our old, cheap bags.  Being hard case means they protect whatever is inside.  We'll be travelling similar to your latest trip - a few nights at most places.  Also, Mrs Ghan will require train-free days sometimes, although short commuter trips are allowed.

disturbman: I hear what you say, particularly about luggage on the subway, etc.  With regard to buying trains: I was planning on picking up overhead platforms, elevated track, buildings, books on railways, and possibly a few trains.  I was also planning to throw out my underwear in Tokyo before returning home to make space for the stuff.  Let's face it, I'll throw out $50 worth of clothes to save $300 or more on shipping.

Cheers

The_Ghan

disturbman

50 bucks of underwear? I either you pack very light or your underestimate the price of your underwear. Another possibility is to buy a cheapo luggage in Akihabara. It should cost you around 20$ or something. ;)

• Like 1

Underwear can be washed out in the sink and hung over the bath to dry while you're out for the day.

Geez,

I must be living in The Lucky Country afterall.  I buy a 6-pack of underwear for less than $20 and business sox usually 2 or 3 for $10, right here in Sydney.

If I buy it in Thailand (we travel there annually) it is about half that price.

But my point was this: we take our old stuff, use it on the vacation, then throw it out to make room for souvenirs, trains, etc.  Let's face it, it was going to be thrown out in the near future anyway and I'm saving hundreds of dollars on international shipping.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I use a 56by36by23 centimeter carry-on bag on international flights  for all my clothes . I got the bag from Crazy Clarks for $25. International Airlines allow you to take on a small satchel as well eg for laptop ,cards, documents, phone camera etc. It also fits on the luggage rack above your seat on TGV, ICE, Thalys, Shinkansen & Chinese HSTs. It means that you always have all your things within eyesight  and with easy reach when travelling.

cheers...eisenbahn

CaptOblivious

Here's how we did it:

http://travels.goodman-wilson.com/2011/03/07/on-traveling-light/

Of course, by the time we got to Kyoto, we had a couple extra bags. Getting to our hotel was a pain, even with this little, and the Kyoto buses were nearly impossible. I strongly urge you to pack as light as you can in only carryons for comfortable travel through Japan.

Geez Cap'n,

Did you actually read the Amazon reviews for that Travelpro Crew 7 you're boasting about in your blog?  It didn't seem to get a good write up.

That aside, I like your post and the other links.  The difficulty is that Mrs Ghan is picking clothes for each destination !!!! Yikes !!!!  I've told her already, "You pack it, you carry it!!!"

I distinctly remember carrying two bags and a daypack up the stairs at Tower Bridge Station in London as Mrs Ghan walked ahead, Burburry hanging off her arm like in the movie "Legally Blonde", and saying, "Oh, it's so easy to travel the subways in London!" ... while I quietly almost had a heart attack on the stairs ...

Cheers

The_Ghan

CaptOblivious

Oh, we hate our TravelPro now!

I should add that we each bought new sets of lightweight travel clothes, which really eased packing. And they were so comfy, i still wear them regularly!

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck solving this problem!

Oh, we hate our TravelPro now! ...

ROFL ...

I read through those links in toto last night.  I can't agree with their ideas of shoe bags and packages for everything.  I've tried it before and you end up with a pound or two of packaging.  Seriously, we put it all on the kitchen scales once.  The vacuum seal idea (not from the website) doesn't work either because you can never get hold of a vacuum at the other end.  To pack compactly, my best experience has been to simply roll things tightly, very tightly, and use large rubber bands.

Cheers

The_Ghan

CaptOblivious

Oh, we hate our TravelPro now! ...

ROFL ...

I read through those links in toto last night.  I can't agree with their ideas of shoe bags and packages for everything.  I've tried it before and you end up with a pound or two of packaging.  Seriously, we put it all on the kitchen scales once.  The vacuum seal idea (not from the website) doesn't work either because you can never get hold of a vacuum at the other end.  To pack compactly, my best experience has been to simply roll things tightly, very tightly, and use large rubber bands.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Agreed. We bought lightweight travel clothes and simple rolled them tight, worked a charm!

If you let me know where you will be staying in Tokyo, I could scout the area for laundromats beforehand. If there are members near where you will be traveling, spouses or friends could entertain Mrs Gahn so you could get an extra day or two to rail fan.

The second time that I went to Hawaii with Kinuko, I spent almost all of the time doing things with her and after she returned to Japan, I spent an extra week and did my thing in Hawaii. I learned my lesson the first time.

Best wishes,

Grant

If you let me know where you will be staying in Tokyo, I could scout the area for laundromats beforehand. If there are members near where you will be traveling, spouses or friends could entertain Mrs Gahn so you could get an extra day or two to rail fan.

The second time that I went to Hawaii with Kinuko, I spent almost all of the time doing things with her and after she returned to Japan, I spent an extra week and did my thing in Hawaii. I learned my lesson the first time.

Best wishes,

Grant

Grant,

Two excellent ideas you have.  I'll follow both up a little nearer to our departure. 

Laundries are difficult to find using Google Earth.  I've tried 洗濯 and コインランドリー ... neither really show anything other than select hotels.

Mrs Ghan is a bubbly young woman in her late 20's.  She's easily distracted by bright neon, the word "discount", beautiful gardens, bakeries and any kind of food stall, street food, noodle shop and the like.  She'll happily ride the rails for an hour or so, as long as we're going somewhere and not nowhere.  I'm trying to contact some old friends, etc. but it has been such a long time.  We'll see what happens on that front.

Cheers

The_Ghan

i figured they should sell one with a larger bag and then you could just get a lot of momentum up in a crowded place duck down behind the bag and plow your way through! ;-p

jeff