Shinkansen timetable question

I've been doing a little travel planning for a trip later this year.  I have this shinkansen timetable which shows N700 and 500 series services, but it doesn't show other types of service.  Are the 700 series still running? Are the RailStar services still running?  How do I tell?  I want to ride on as many different types of train as possible.  We will be using a Rail Pass which means we won't be using Nozomi or Mizuho services.  Also, as most hotels have a 10:00am checkout we will probably prefer to travel shortly after checkout time.

At the moment, we're planning the following sectors:

Fukuoka-Hiroshima: S-548, N700?

Hiroshima-Himeji: K-738, 500 series?

Himeji-Osaka:

Osaka-Kyoto:

Kyoto-Nagoya:

Nagoya-Odawara:

Odawara-Fuji or Odawara-Tokyo:

From Fuji we might head north to Kofu, Yamanashi-ken - where I used to live.  And then head to Tokyo on a Super Azusa.  Alternatively, we might make camp in Tokyo (around Shinjuku area) and have day trips to:

Yamanashi - Azusa / Super Azusa

Enoshima - Odakyu / Enoden / Yokosuka Line

Hakone - Odakyu / Hakone Tozan

Help with ideas for this please.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Hi The_Ghan:

Just to share with you some of my Japan rail planning experience and resources:

Firstly, i use this site: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5306.html  that has alot of infomation for travel around Japan, what to see and what to do...

Next, i use this very important website for rail travel:

http://www.hyperdia.com/

This website allows you to plan your entire rail travel very easily, as you can physically key in your departure date/ arrival date and timing. You can also 'un-tick' the check box for Nozomi/ sleeper services as Japan Rail Pass do not cover Nozomi/ sleeper services. (You can still take Nozomi services if you want to, but you need to pay extra charges for that.) I have totally practically just used this site to get the timetables and type of trains to take, so as to get an exact schedule as to how and when to travel everywhere. Very very useful! Try it out! 

*P.S. if you are thinking of taking 700 series, the Hikari should do fine, running between Tokyo and Osaka. For the 500, i think it is a Nozomi service so i think you might need to pay extra to board, using the JR Pass. It runs to Hakata in the west.

*P.S. if you are thinking of taking 700 series, the Hikari should do fine, running between Tokyo and Osaka. For the 500, i think it is a Nozomi service so i think you might need to pay extra to board, using the JR Pass. It runs to Hakata in the west.

Series 500 were retired from Nozomi service in 2010 and downgraded to local Kodama service between Osaka and Hakata replacing the remaining Series 0. 500 Series trains were cut down to 8 car trains and the surplus cars scrapped.

Series 500 were retired from Nozomi service in 2010 and downgraded to local Kodama service between Osaka and Hakata replacing the remaining Series 0. 500 Series trains were cut down to 8 car trains and the surplus cars scrapped.

Wow i didnt know that! I heard about the 8-cars Kodama, but didnt know they actually scrapped the remaining cars! OUCH! Thanks for the info!

yes everything is being gutted down to the 700's over the next few years :(

oh well i personally hope to ride a few this summer in japan.

little off topic* still waiting on these rumored E7 announcement still some buzz on it most seems to be saying plans to be released this summer.

I'm hoping if they do this "E7" it looks good and is double decker. But that kinda sounds impossible with current direction the e5-6 are going.

Hi The_Ghan:

Just to share with you some of my Japan rail planning experience and resources:

Firstly, i use this site: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5306.html  that has alot of infomation for travel around Japan, what to see and what to do...

Next, i use this very important website for rail travel:

http://www.hyperdia.com/

This website allows you to plan your entire rail travel very easily, as you can physically key in your departure date/ arrival date and timing. You can also 'un-tick' the check box for Nozomi/ sleeper services as Japan Rail Pass do not cover Nozomi/ sleeper services. (You can still take Nozomi services if you want to, but you need to pay extra charges for that.) I have totally practically just used this site to get the timetables and type of trains to take, so as to get an exact schedule as to how and when to travel everywhere. Very very useful! Try it out! 

Thanks JR500 のぞみ ,

I use Japan-Guide and jnto.go.jp/eng/ already.  I'm also familiar with hyperdia, but find its good to use the timetable as well.

Unfortunately, I can't use Nozomi and Mizuya services with the Rail Pass.  We are thinking of buying the Green Car version, but that hasn't been confirmed as yet.  ATM, shinkansen travel will be via other services.

Because Mrs Ghan is coming the holiday needs to be structured so that we have a handful of base camps, from which we go on day trips.  She will be OK with 60-80 minutes each way on a day trip.  So, we could do Enoshima from Tokyo base camp, for example.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I assume you are aware the Green Car Railpass doesn't get you onto Nozomi or Mizuho services either, JR railpasses of either class require the full fare to be paid. On sleeper trains with a Green Car pass you just have to pay the Ltd Express and sleeping berth surcharges if I remember correctly.

Not being able to use Nozomi services is an inconvienence if you want to travel through from JR Central to JR West territory without changing trains somewhere between Shin Osaka and Okayama but for riding N700's it's not a problem as many Hikari and Kodama services use them, especially in the early morning and evening to get them into position for peak hour runs. I caught Kodama #491 from Nagoya to Shin Osaka last year to connect with Sakura #603, it is a Nagoya to Hiroshima run that going by the timetable then forms Nozomi #118 from Hiroshima back to Tokyo.

Kodama #738 when I rode it last November was worked by a Railstar set, the previous Kodama service #736 was a 500 and the next #740 was a 100, I know because I rode all three when I travelled from Hakata to Hiroshima with hour stopovers at Asa and Shin Iwakuni. Of course that could all be different now, the 100 series on #740 certainly.

bikkuri bahn

There is only one dedicated Hikari Railstar service running, Hikari Railstar #442, a morning up train from Hakata to Shin-Osaka (dep. Hakata 6:38 arr. Shin-Osaka 10:28).  Other former Hikari Railstar 8 car trainsets have been cascaded to Kodama services on the Sanyo Shinkansen ("Kodama Railstars"), such as this one arriving at Mihara.  An eight car Kodama set is likely to be either a 700 series Railstar set, or a 500 series.  The Kodama services are more interesting anyway from a railfan viewpoint, and sometimes the stops are long enough for you to get out and photograph the passing trains.

bikkuri bahn
I'm hoping if they do this "E7" it looks good and is double decker. But that kinda sounds impossible with current direction the e5-6 are going.

The E7 will be based on the current E2 design, but with gearing to enable grades to be taken at 200km/h rather than the 170km/h of the E2. There is no way a double decker is going to take the grades (up to 3%) of the Hokuriku line at those speeds.

I assume you are aware the Green Car Railpass doesn't get you onto Nozomi or Mizuho services either, JR railpasses of either class require the full fare to be paid. On sleeper trains with a Green Car pass you just have to pay the Ltd Express and sleeping berth surcharges if I remember correctly.

Not being able to use Nozomi services is an inconvienence if you want to travel through from JR Central to JR West territory without changing trains somewhere between Shin Osaka and Okayama but for riding N700's it's not a problem as many Hikari and Kodama services use them, especially in the early morning and evening to get them into position for peak hour runs. I caught Kodama #491 from Nagoya to Shin Osaka last year to connect with Sakura #603, it is a Nagoya to Hiroshima run that going by the timetable then forms Nozomi #118 from Hiroshima back to Tokyo.

Kodama #738 when I rode it last November was worked by a Railstar set, the previous Kodama service #736 was a 500 and the next #740 was a 100, I know because I rode all three when I travelled from Hakata to Hiroshima with hour stopovers at Asa and Shin Iwakuni. Of course that could all be different now, the 100 series on #740 certainly.

Thanks West,

Yes, I know the Green Car Railpass doesn't get you onto Nozomi or Mizuho services ... and we won't be taking a sleeper train at all as Mrs Ghan would freak.  We are considering the Green Car Railpass for comfort only.  We travelled first class on Eurostar and Thalys through Europe and thought the extra cost was worthwhile.

Unfortunately, due to the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disasters we had put of the trip planned for 2011.  It is now back on the agenda but it means that I won't get another ride on the 100 or 300 series.  I've only ever ridden on a 0, 100, 200, and 300.  All extinct now ...

As I mentioned in an earlier email, Mrs Ghan will happily ride a train for an hour or so if there is something worth seeing at the other end.  I went through the Tokyo-Enoshima day with her last night.  She's pretty excited about that and doesn't mind the Odakyu trip or the Enoden.  We probably won't do the overhead train though as Mrs Ghan won't ride a train for the sake of riding the train.

The plan is to work our way from Hakata to Tokyo over a 2 week period.  For me, I want to ride on a N700, 700, RailStar, and 500 series.

Cheers

The_Ghan

... An eight car Kodama set is likely to be either a 700 series Railstar set, or a 500 series. ...

Bikkuri,

How can I tell in advance?  The Shinkansen timetable highlights the N700 series but makes no mention of the others.

Cheers

The_Ghan

the ones that are missing are due to not knowing what set is that number. They don't proactively tell anyone what set each service number is i guess it's a matter of someone reporting that missing service number is a 500 set etc.

I guess one also has to assume that with the retirement of the 300's the numbers are changing and some sets may not yet be known on those lines as now become a 500 700 or n700?

bikkuri bahn

In general 8 car Kodama sets on the Sanyo Shinkansen are either 700 series Railstars or 500 series.  There are also Kodama services between Hakata and Okayama that utilize 8 car N700 sets (S sets). A full-size JTB paper timetable lists all train types used on the services.  IMO a paper timetable hands down beats anything online, but you know what they say about opinions...

Alas, with the retirement of the 300 Series back in March, the Shinkansen on the continuous Tokaidō/San'yō/Kyushū lines is pretty much dominated by the 700/N700 Series trainsets, though you see the 500 Series trainsets on the San'yō Kodama service and 800 Series on the Tsubame services between Hakata and Kumamoto. At least between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka, the 700/N700 Series trains are the only trainset types now, essentially going back to the days when the 0 Series was the only model of Shinkansen. :(

So true Sacto,

I'm currently organising my October schedule so that I get to ride:

- Tsubame 800

- Sakura N700

- Hikari N700

- Kodama 500

- Kodama 700

That pretty much covers the whole range of shinkansen south/west of Tokyo.  We won't be doing anything north this trip.

I had the pleasure of riding a 0 Series Hikari from Tokyo to Hiroshima in 1984.  In those days the top speed was 200km/h.  It was a long trip.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I had the pleasure of riding a 0 Series Hikari from Tokyo to Hiroshima in 1984.  In those days the top speed was 200km/h.  It was a long trip.

When I rode the Hikari from Tokyo to Kyoto in 1985, it was almost 3.5 hours one way! Back then, the maximum speed on the Tokaidō Shinkansen was limited to 200 km/h between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka because this was just before JNR introduced the faster 100 Series trainsets. Today, it takes about three hours one-way between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka on the 700/N700 Series Hikari trains and 2.5 hours on the Nozomi trains.

I wish my memory was better.  I believe the Nozomi service was introduced with the 300 series - I was on a honeymoon in Japan at the time.  I think there was only Hikari and Kodama, am I right?

I'm pretty sure I went to the dining car on the 0 series Hikari to check the speedo they had there ... and we were doing around 210km/h.  I think it was about 8 hours to Hiroshima in those days - 1984.  I was glad to be off the train.

To tell you the truth, at the age of 17, I was more interested in the girl sitting next to me than the shinkansen trip.  :angel12:

Cheers

The_Ghan