Osaka to Okayama

CaptOblivious

CaptOblivious

I have a friend who will be travelling from Osaka to Okayama and back in the very near future. She would rather not take the shinkansen if there were a slower, more scenic route available. There's no time pressure; she'd like to leave in the afternoon if possible. Anyone have a good itinerary suggestion for my friend?

A few minor variations are possible.  I think the Himeji-Okayama section by the Sanyo Main Line and Ako Line are equally slow and scenic :grin.  If a transfer is missed, wait about an hour and the same thing will probably come along again.

Weekday example via Ako Line (1:30PM and 2:30PM departures at Osaka will work out the same way):

12:30PM special rapid at Osaka

2:05PM Banshu-Ako

2:36PM local at Banshu-Ako

4:01PM Okayama

Return via Sanyo Main Line, weekday

-as above, this can be done one or two hours later.  It can also be done 3 or 4 hours later, skipping the change at Himeji as the train from Aioi will continue on past Himeji as a special rapid

12:12PM local at Okayama

1:18PM at Aioi

1:19PM local at Aioi (probably opposite side of the platform)

1:39PM at Himeji

1:57PM special rapid at Himeji

2:58 at Osaka

bikkuri bahn

Via the Sanyo Line:

Dep Osaka 12:30 Arr Aioi 13:53 (shin-kaisoku)

Dep Aioi    14:26 Arr Okayama 15:31 (local)

Fare is 2940 yen.

On my trip last November I did Okayama to Osaka via the Ako Line. I travelled from Takamatsu to Uno by ferry and decided to keep with the 'old fasioned' way of travel by avoiding the Shinkansen for the day as well. The Shinkansen is the best way I can think of for getting from A to B in a hurry but the traditional 3'6" lines are the best way to see what's in between.

• Like 1

However, I wouldn't call the western part of the San'yō Main Line "scenic," except maybe between Hiroshima and Itozaki Stations when it becomes very rural and hilly.