Princess Coronation Class

Yeah, but I was a LMS man.  The Mallard was LNER.  Nice colour though and possibly the inspiration for BR to paint the Edinburgh blue.

As I've said in other posts, LMS burgundy (sometimes called "red" or "crimson") was what got me into model railways 35 years ago.  Hey!  When you're 7 years old and you like the colour, you go with that!

Dad suggested sticking with LMS as a theme for various reasons:

1. They were the world's largest transport company (I'm sure he said that, don't know if it was true);

2. They had a huge variety of locos (but not the Flying Scotsman, which interested him more than me anyway);

3. They covered all the colours - burgundy, green, black, and later, blue (that's important when you're 7);

4. They had the streamlined Dutchess Coronation class in burgundy livery and also blue with silver "go-fast" stripes (also important when you're 7);

5. 6220 Coronation broke the Scotsman's speed record anyway (case closed if you're 7).

Cheers

The_Ghan

Definitely very nice. Strongly considering (once I get paid next week).

I bought a Merchant Navy class 'Canada Line' in BR Blue from a retailer in the UK last year, and I asked them to add sound to it.  When it arrived, although sound was installed, it was a second hand unit, steps were broken, valve wheel was broken and accessory bag was missing.  Not happy, but since this is a difficult to get model, I didn't bother sending it back.  I managed to get Hornby to send out the missing accessory pack though.

Thanks keitaro.

Those are the new Graham Farish N gauge 'Spam Cans' with the air-smoothed casing.  Not the HO scale rebuilt (un-streamlined) Southern Bulleid Pacifics.

But definitely VERY LIKE the BR blue locos.

That one is also on my watch list.  I don't mind the tension locks so long as I can replace them with kadees  :grin

But yes, I'm not sure if they are replaceable on that set.

Claude_Dreyfus

Yeah, but I was a LMS man.  The Mallard was LNER.  Nice colour though and possibly the inspiration for BR to paint the Edinburgh blue.

As I've said in other posts, LMS burgundy (sometimes called "red" or "crimson") was what got me into model railways 35 years ago.  Hey!  When you're 7 years old and you like the colour, you go with that!

Dad suggested sticking with LMS as a theme for various reasons:

1. They were the world's largest transport company (I'm sure he said that, don't know if it was true);

2. They had a huge variety of locos (but not the Flying Scotsman, which interested him more than me anyway);

3. They covered all the colours - burgundy, green, black, and later, blue (that's important when you're 7);

4. They had the streamlined Dutchess Coronation class in burgundy livery and also blue with silver "go-fast" stripes (also important when you're 7);

5. 6220 Coronation broke the Scotsman's speed record anyway (case closed if you're 7).

Yes, the LMS was at least the biggest transport company in the world, if not the biggest private company in the world at the time. Its interests included road, shipping, air services and hotels, as well as the basic job of running trains from as far south as Dorset to the far north of Scotland…

Many would argue they had too much variety, especially the huge range of smaller locos inherited from the Midland. Stanier made huge strides in producing ‘standards’, his 5MT numbered 842 examples in the end.

The livery variation was huge, but they were most associated with the red livery – known as Crimson Lake. The Duchess class looked particularly fine in this livery, and one has just been restored to this condition – you can see it peeking from behind Mallard in the photo on this thread. Although they did hold the speed record for steam traction, it was only for a year or so.

There is much debate over Flying Scotsman’s record to 100 mph. What is clear is that 4472 achieved the first authenticated 100mph run. There is strong evidence that the record was achieved 20-odd years previously by the GWR’s City of Truro.

Another claim to LMS fame is their pioneering use of diesel traction. Their 350 hp shunter design is still in service in the UK…virtually unchanged from its 1930s origins.

All this is academic of course, as there is only one proper railway company; and that was the Southern!

• Like 1

well i have the mallard on order and it's due in any day now.

There face book page for dapol have pics, looks damn nice model.

marknewton
...but they were most associated with the red livery – known as Crimson Lake. The Duchess class looked particularly fine in this livery, and one has just been restored to this condition – you can see it peeking from behind Mallard in the photo on this thread.

46229 Duchess of Hamilton. Very impressive loco, very free steaming and easy to fire. But a very dirty engine to work on, due to the soft exhaust.

There is much debate over Flying Scotsman’s record to 100 mph. What is clear is that 4472 achieved the first authenticated 100mph run. There is strong evidence that the record was achieved 20-odd years previously by the GWR’s City of Truro.

Hmm. I wouldn't call it strong evidence, or very convincing. I seriously doubt Truro was capable of 100mph.

All this is academic of course, as there is only one proper railway company; and that was the Southern!

I tend to agree - having had a play on two of Ollie Bulleid's marvellous machines!  :cheesy

Cheers,

Mark.

well i have the mallard on order and it's due in any day now.

There face book page for dapol have pics, looks damn nice model.

Nothing wrong with your taste there, mate.

Cheers

The_Ghan