Repair cafes

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

I like this concept:

AMSTERDAM — An unemployed man, a retired pharmacist and an upholsterer took their stations, behind tables covered in red gingham. Screwdrivers and sewing machines stood at the ready. Coffee, tea and cookies circulated. Hilij Held, a neighbor, wheeled in a zebra-striped suitcase and extracted a well-used iron. “It doesn’t work anymore,” she said. “No steam.”

Ms. Held had come to the right place. At Amsterdam’s first Repair Cafe, an event originally held in a theater’s foyer, then in a rented room in a former hotel and now in a community center a couple of times a month, people can bring in whatever they want to have repaired, at no cost, by volunteers who just like to fix things.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/world/europe/amsterdam-tries-to-change-culture-with-repair-cafes.html?src=me&ref=general

In Japan I have seen news features about toy repair "hospitals" staffed by volunteers, and back in the days when watches were all mechanical, free watch repair events at department stores.

Yeah saw this in the times yesterday, nice idea. Be fun to do with trains as well. A local train dealer and I have been talking about how to possibly throw some sort of a casual train meet where folks can share ideas, show stuff off, do mini workshops and maybe help with repairs. Rub has been finding a good place to of it that doesn't cost us...

Jeff