Walking Trip to Jindaiji Temple

My wife suggested that we go back to Jindaiji Temple. It's near Chofu station. We know it as the turtle temple as will be seen.

We cycled to Setagaya Station on the Setagaya Line and took it to Shimotakaido Station and took the Keio Line.

DSC_0004-6.jpg

Spring has brought blooming flowers. Poppies just below the opposite platform at Matsubara Station.

DSC_0008-3.jpg

Then off to Fuda Station.

DSC_0009-5.jpg

Where I took a photo of a passing train, but I was traveling on my wife's schedule, so it was off to the first of two shrines and a temple.

DSC_0014-3.jpg

Taiyaki stand. In this case, a fish shaped waffle filled with red bean paste.

DSC_0021-9.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiyaki

DSC_0023-6.jpg

DSC_0024-2.jpg

The banner is unfortunately reversed and the bottom corner folded..

DSC_0025-4.jpg

People often have flowers growing on their fences or in pots next to the fences.

DSC_0026-5.jpg

DSC_0027-5.jpg

We arrived at Kokuryojinja Shrine. It's famous for its hanging wisteria flowers. Since it was the first day of the Golden Week Holidays, there was a produce sale and a crepe stand there.

This is the shrine. My wife is very budget conscious (she is retired and I have only a few students) so we only threw in a very small sum into the donation box.

DSC_0028-2.jpg

A large taiko drum is housed here.DSC_0029-3.jpg

DSC_0030-2.jpg

DSC_0031-4.jpg

DSC_0032-4.jpg

DSC_0033-2.jpg

Wash your hands and rinse your mouth to purify yourself here.

DSC_0034-6.jpg

The main trunk of the wisteria tree is here.

DSC_0035-3.jpg

DSC_0036-3.jpg

DSC_0037-2.jpg

More to come.

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 8

A couple more shots of the wisteria flowers.

DSC_0038-5.jpg

DSC_0041-3.jpg

Some info about the shrine.

DSC_0039-6.jpg

DSC_0040-2.jpg

Next was Futa-Tenji Shrine. This was on the way. It seemed to combine the old style wooden top with a more modern base.

DSC_0042-4.jpg

The entrance to the shrine. Many parts of shrines and temples are the same so I've only shot a few things.

DSC_0043-3.jpg

DSC_0044-4.jpg

The old wooden plaque that probably is a dedication to the shrine.

DSC_0045-1.jpg

Some plants that were protected by a bamboo fence. Perhaps they were flowers that haven't bloomed yet.

DSC_0046-2.jpg

A list of sponsors or people who made donations to the shrine.

DSC_0047-2.jpg

The cleansing water basin.

DSC_0048.jpg

The shrine.

DSC_0049-2.jpg

A small noh stage with seats.

DSC_0050-3.jpg

Why was the stone lantern fenced in?

DSC_0051-1.jpg

The sign says don't climb the stone lantern. Seems to be directed to children.

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0053-4.jpg

A temporary tent to sell fortunes.

DSC_0054-2.jpg

DSC_0055-2.jpg

The concrete overpass connects the cemetery on the left with a small shrine to the right.

DSC_0057-2.jpg

DSC_0058-1.jpg

DSC_0059-2.jpg

DSC_0060-3.jpg

More to follow.

Best wishes,

Grant

Continuing to Jindaiji Temple.

These mini buses are popular and are often decorated with cute characters. Shigeru Mizuki, famous cartoonist lived near here. He did a manga about a boy called GeGeGe no Kitaro. NHK's Morning Drama several years ago was about his wife, which prompted my wife to suggest that we come here the last time.

DSC_0061-3.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeGeGe_no_Kitaro

That's GEeGeGe no Kitaro, (the boy) on the bus. The small eyeball man is his father.

DSC_0062-2.jpg

DSC_0063-2.jpg

Some extra use for land under a highway viaduct. There is a small children's park. Couldn't stop to take better photos. My wife was far enough ahead as it was.

DSC_0069-4.jpg

DSC_0066-3.jpg

Hashibashi Bridge.

DSC_0067-1.jpg

DSC_0068-2.jpg

Shots of the highway above. The park is to the near left.

DSC_0070-2.jpg

DSC_0071-2.jpg

An onsen/hot spring.

DSC_0074-5.jpg

This truck brought the hot spring water to your house.

DSC_0072-2.jpg

DSC_0075-2.jpg

DSC_0076-3.jpg

DSC_0079-1.jpg

DSC_0080-2.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0073-2.jpg

I've also started taking photos of manhole covers, especially ones connected with the subway or rail lines. This one is for the Chofu City sewer system, I believe.

DSC_0083-1.jpg

And I take a general shot to establish the location. This was several blocks before the Jindaiji temple.

DSC_0084.jpg

More later.

Best wishes,

Grant

Next we arrived at Jindaiji Temple. Temple as it's buddhist. The shrines are Shinto. Like many popular temples, they have many souvenir and food stands before the temple. The tea house on the right was decorated with characters from GeGeGe no Kitaro.

DSC_0085.jpg

A map of the area.

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

GeGeGe no Kitaro specialized in traditional ghosts, monsters and spirits in Japan.

DSC_0088-1.jpg

That's him again in the little tree house.

DSC_0089-2.jpg

DSC_0090-1.jpg

The large wooden getas or clogs are one of the weapons used by GeGeGe no Kitaro. Kind of like Thor's Hammer.

DSC_0091-1.jpg

DSC_0092-1.jpg

The man in the yellow, Nezumi Otoko or rat man, is like main villain, or rather sympathetic anti-hero like Dr. Zachary Smith from Lost in Space, if you are old enough to remember the TV Show. He is probably the second most popular character in the comic series.

DSC_0093.jpg

There are several ponds on the temple grounds with turtles. This one next to a teahouse/restaurant had a japanese garden and had the most turtles.

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0098-1.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0102-1.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

The temple itself.

DSC_0108.jpg

Possibly for children's spirits.

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0112-1.jpg

DSC_0114-2.jpg

DSC_0115-2.jpg

More to come.

Best wishes,

Grant

Next to the temple was the Jindaiji Botanical Park. It is built around some rice paddies and a pond. There is an old castle ground on the high ground next to the park. You can see the forms of the ramparts and ditches.

This way goes back to the front of the temple.

DSC_0116-2.jpg

DSC_0117-1.jpg

DSC_0118-1.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0124-1.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

Probably the footprint of an egret.DSC_0132-2.jpg

The pond. The water was rather scummy.DSC_0133-2.jpg

DSC_0135-2.jpg

There are patches of spring flowers.

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0137-1.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0140-1.jpg

More to come.

Best wishes,

Grant

After lunch at the park, we walked towards the Nogawa River. We would follow it and walk South back toward Chofu City.

More manhole covers.

DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

The bird mark for sewer covers this section of the city.

DSC_0143-1.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

The covers to the rain gutters also had the bird mark for this area.

DSC_0145.jpg

I've started taking a photo of the block information on the nearest telephone pole as a way to record the location of my photos. But it is easier to remember if I use more descriptive terms like second street from the bridge.

DSC_0147.jpg

The Nogawa River.

DSC_0150.jpg

Looking North.

DSC_0151-1.jpg

Looking south. We walked in this direction on the right bank of the river.

DSC_0152.jpg

You could see plenty of ducks.

DSC_0153-1.jpg

An occasional egret.

DSC_0155-1.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

A kingfisher, the quarry of a number of bird enthusiast that we saw on the river. we saw three different groups of photographers with large telephoto lens. They were staking out roosts or perhaps nests. This one had a number of old folks and were using point and shoot cameras to snap a photo of this bird. I think that one was a guide who knew where the birds liked to roost. When my wife and I first started walking along this river many years ago, i saw a flash of green and orange and a low whirring sound that I briefly glimpsed. It took a couple of times but I finally got a good look at one.

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

A swallow is just a blur in this photo.

DSC_0162.jpg

More ducks silhouetted.

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

The swallow had been on the opposite bank either drinking or getting mud to make a nest.

DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0168-1.jpg

Some portions of the river where people often had picnics or went fishing had flowers planted on the side walls. In other places the flood waters seemed to have washed them away.

DSC_0169-1.jpg

Another egret.

DSC_0170-1.jpg

DSC_0174-1.jpg

These ducks were resting.DSC_0175-1.jpg

Nagashima Bridge.

DSC_0179-2.jpg

There are steps leading down to the river banks, but they are not frequent and in the last stretch, we passed four or five steps on the opposite bank before we found one on our side. It wasn't easy to cross the river either. You can see the steps we used to the left.

DSC_0180-1.jpg

Boys Day carps.

DSC_0181-2.jpg

We walked to Shibasaki Station and went back to Shimotakaido Station.

DSC_0182.jpg

At Tsutsujigaoka, we waited for an express to pass. This was a Shinjuku Line train running on the Keio Line.

DSC_0187-1.jpg

As it was in the late afternoon, I thought I might get a photo of the Setagaya Tram coming in with a passenger silhouetted.

DSC_0193-1.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0195-1.jpg

But a few more people came up to clutter the shot.

DSC_0197-1.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1

Loads of great pics gmat, many thanks.  I'm always interested to see Keio trains.  They've got that weird gauge, and I was never on it!  Too bad.  Those little mini-buses, built on the Isuzu NPR chassis I assume, seem really practical and economical.  I was often a little surprised that they usually build buses on frames that would be suited for North America.

All great photos, Grant.  I particularly like the Setagaya trams (I collect the Modemo models of those), but it's great to just see the temples, shrines and nearby parts of the city.

Eisenbahn

A great series of cultural and rail photos  of places where  many western tourists wouldnt know about.

Loads of great pics gmat, many thanks.  I'm always interested to see Keio trains.  They've got that weird gauge, and I was never on it!  Too bad.  Those little mini-buses, built on the Isuzu NPR chassis I assume, seem really practical and economical.  I was often a little surprised that they usually build buses on frames that would be suited for North America.

It's actually a Hino Poncho of the 2nd series, based on the Hino Liesse chassis: http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Hino_Poncho

Btw, very cool photos by the way. Very inspiring for my future T-Trak modules! :D

Thank you for all of your comments. I'll try to post some Setagaya and Keio Line shots that I have taken.

Right now I'm culling a set of GW day trip train shots. A few interesting trains showed up.

Best wishes,

Grant

marknewton

Grant, great story and pictures! Thanks for taking the time and effort to post these.

All the best,

Mark.

Wow!

Nice pictures! Very nice!

Thanks for the effort in taking and posting all these beautiful pictures! While i was looking through the pictures, i suddenly recognised the playground under viaduct and the mini bus being Kato/ Tomix products immediately. Very accurate!  :grin