Mooka Line in Ibaraki

catcliffedemon

Having hammered the Jōsō-sen pretty hard in my first 5-6 weeks in Japan, yesterday I headed north a few miles to Shimodate and visited the Mooka Lina, well known for its steam train operation. As well as the steam locomotives, the line operates a fleet of modern looking two-car railcars. Two of them are illustrated here:

6999221348_fbe87c3c48_z.jpg

7000774670_da288513cc_z.jpg

Nick_Burman

Having hammered the Jōsō-sen pretty hard in my first 5-6 weeks in Japan, yesterday I headed north a few miles to Shimodate and visited the Mooka Lina, well known for its steam train operation. As well as the steam locomotives, the line operates a fleet of modern looking two-car railcars. Two of them are illustrated here:

7000774670_441b9b34c7_z.jpg

6999221348_784c4f6925_z.jpg

If you are exploring the region, don't forget Kantetsu's Ryugasaki line. Charles Small made it once the centerpiece of a chapter of one of his books about Japanese railways.

Cheers NB

Oooh, the 'Suika' (Watermelons)! My girlfriends used to take those to her junior high every day. Yeah, I'll probably ride that line next year when I've made my move to finally go to Japan again...

Very good and crisp photographs, once again!