Sushi bar in Indiana

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn
Planners get whiff of fresh sushi bar

Sapporo steakhouse in Indy has its sights on Lima Road eatery

Paul Wyche | The Journal Gazette

FORT WAYNE – Dishes from the Orient are on their way to Fort Wayne.

The owner of Sapporo Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar in Indianapolis plans to open a restaurant at 6300 Lima Road, according to paperwork filed Wednesday at the Department of Planning Services.

Businessman Simon Hong will present designs before city planners in coming weeks in hopes of building a 9,200-square-foot restaurant, featuring Japanese chefs promising to “amaze and awe” patrons while juggling various cooking utensils over a flame.

A trend toward ethnic food began to take root in Indiana about two years ago, said John Livengood, president and chief executive officer of the Indiana Restaurant Association.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20120503/LOCAL/305039968/1002/LOCAL

Let me indulge in some ex-Californian snottiness: sushi bars don't emit smells, if they do, then you should not eat there.  Also, lol at the trend in ethnic food comment.  Anyway, glad rural Indiana is finding out about the rest of the world.

They probably call the mall style Chinese Food (i.e chicken balls, spring rolls, chicken fried rice) ethnic food. I figure it would be hard for them to source sashimi grade ingredients in their locale seeing as sushi isn't really a big ticket item over there.

What's funny about the article is that it's (judging by the name) a Chinese guy opening a Japanese restaurant. And I can tell you how that usually turns out..

Apparently very well, he is opening a second restaurant with Japanese Chefs. :grin

But he probably will face stiff competition if he decided to locate here in TO,  we have Chinese, Korea and Japanese operated Japanese Restaurants here at almost every major intersections.