bachman dcc controller

keitaro

anyone know much about them ?

and can they be used to controll multiple lines or just the one line per controller

I want to get a specific model and for like $40 au extra i can get the set wiht a dcc controller.

was thinking may be a good start to playing around with dcc before my next layout.

it's item 36-500 http://www.bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=ez&prod=0

It does look like only 1 track at a time and it looks as simple as plugging in the cable or splitting to multiple cables to run just standard back and forth.

nothing special like blocks etc.

Nick_Burman

Keitaro,

With DCC you don't run the tracks, you run the trains... :grin - a pair of wires will suffice for the whole layout. The system will run as many locos/train it (and your brains) can bear.

I would go for something somewhat better, like the Dynamis. I have one and I'm happy with it. Plus it can be expanded using ESU hardware when the time comes for it.

Cheers NB

thanks but i am going digitrax for the proper layout.

I was hoping to just dcc a few models and play about with it. Get the hang of setting addresses and playing about with lighting.

I am not sure and can be wrong on this one. But, I thought Bachman's DCC was built using Digitrax technology. So, if the internals are Digitrax, would it not make sense going Digitrax?

Martijn Meerts

The problem buying something limited like this, is that it's wasted money once you start the real layout, unless you can somehow integrate it into the new digital system.

I have no experience with Digitrax (other than having the opinion that their controllers etc. are awfully ugly =)) since it's not a common brand over in Europe. Deciding on which system to buy really depends on how far you want to go with the layout. For example, blocks are pointless unless you're going computer control, or have an ECoS/Commander/CS2..

The problem buying something limited like this, is that it's wasted money once you start the real layout, unless you can somehow integrate it into the new digital system.

I have no experience with Digitrax (other than having the opinion that their controllers etc. are awfully ugly =)) since it's not a common brand over in Europe. Deciding on which system to buy really depends on how far you want to go with the layout. For example, blocks are pointless unless you're going computer control, or have an ECoS/Commander/CS2..

i'm going to be doing fully automated so the controller really means nothing to me. having said that of course i will still use it a fair bit as well but not as much as automated will be.

Martijn Meerts

In that case I'd probably look at a starter set of something that can be expanded later on. Maybe something like the Zephyr, which (according to Digitrax anyway) can be integrated into a larger system. It's (quite a bit) more expensive, but it's not wasted.

I don't have one but have been reading up on it. If you are talking about the EZ Command, it is more geared to a beginner and cannot be upgraded. You can run about three trains at once.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Connecting to an existing layout

http://www.bachmann.co.uk/service/dcc3.php#

Some comment on the EZ Command;

Bachmann E-Z command

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/415

Best beginners DCC system?

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?127001-Best-beginners-DCC-system

Tony's Off the Cuff DCC Comparison

http://www.tonystrains.com/productcompare/offthecuff.htm

Some have said that it is a good 'test the water' kit and is simple and cheap. Sell or give it away when you can upgrade later. Others have said that Zephyr can be easy to learn. I think it depends on your comfort with electronic controllers and its functions.

I think that I'll start with the EZ Command as it will be easy to learn and simple to get my students to use. I won't be building any complex layouts.

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1

keitaro,

Did you bump your head getting up this morning? Man, just get a starter set from ModelTrainStuff.  I got the SuperChief and power supply.  But if you're on a budget the Zephyr is under $170 these days.

For your current layout the Zephyr will do the job and handle 3-4 trains.

Cheers

The_Ghan

ahh this is like $40 more then buying the trains seperate from hattons.

not $160

as stated i was thinking would be great to preprepare my locos for dcc while i don't have the space time and money for the larger one.

Krackel Hopper

If I am reading this right..

keitaro, you are looking at $40 for a Bachmann EZ Command.. others are saying not to waste your money and instead purchase $170 - $500 units..

I think the question is, how close are you to starting your "big layout"?

How soon do you need all the extras of a "real" DCC controller?

$40 is not that big of an investment.. and the links from gmat make me think it would work perfectly fine for the layout you currently have.  If you use the EZ Command controller for a year, I would say you got your $40 worth.. and honestly, you can probably get your $40 (or more) right back by putting it up on Ebay once you have moved on.

Buy the Bachmann now, upgrade when you're ready and sell the Bachmann..

Out of curiosity, what set are you looking at purchasing? 

The only Bachmann sets I've seen with the EZ Command here in the States are some of the HO sets.  Even the N scale sets that are factory installed DCC only come with a DC power pack..

Martijn Meerts

The link Keitaro posted had a price of around 85 pounds, which is what I based my opinion on.

If he can somehow get the Bachmann unit for 40 dollars, then by all means, go for it. That's a very good price ;)

Krackel Hopper

The link Keitaro posted had a price of around 85 pounds, which is what I based my opinion on.

If he can somehow get the Bachmann unit for 40 dollars, then by all means, go for it. That's a very good price ;)

What he was saying is there is a Bachmann train he wants (regardless) and for $40 over the price of the train itself, he can get the train in a starter set that includes this DCC controller.. so should spend X dollars on a train.. or X + $40 on a train w/ EZ Command DCC to try out..

That is correct. I wouldn't buy the more expensive because regardless if it can be upgraded or not I won't be using it on my next layout.

I think I will sit on this one for a bit and decide in the coming weeks if to buy or not.

I am not sure and can be wrong on this one. But, I thought Bachman's DCC was built using Digitrax technology. So, if the internals are Digitrax, would it not make sense going Digitrax?

Hi John,

The Bachmann DCC is based on Lenz.  There's a series of Youtube videos about it.

Cheers

The_Ghan

ahh this is like $40 more then buying the trains seperate from hattons.

not $160

as stated i was thinking would be great to preprepare my locos for dcc while i don't have the space time and money for the larger one.

I thought Hattens sell it for about £65, which is $100.  This product is made by Lenz and is an OEM product.  Other train suppliers have it too.  Look, if you can get it for $40 (not £40), then go for it.  It will always be able to control trains fitted with Digitrax decoders, but it won't support Transponding.  The power pack is only rated at 1A.  That limits you to 2-3 trains as already mentioned.  With lighting in 6-8 car consists I'd be sticking to 2 trains.  There is also a companion controller that works as a slave off the main unit with a similar price tag.  A 5A power supply is more expensive than the Digitrax 20A.  So, you've got to be careful just how far you want to go.  My guess is the basic EZ product would be great for your current layout.

However, you've always told me you'd be going Digitrax.  With that in mind I'd still be going for the Zephyr.  To me, Digitrax equipment is not over priced.  You can get 2 function motor decoders with Transponding for $15 ($19 with BEMF).  They have a 20A power supply which will power a fairly extensive layout.  The hand-held controllers don't look any worse than Lenz or other brands to me.  They're 100% compatible with the Kato drop in decoders.  Every Kato and Digitrax decoder includes Transponding.

The only comparable product is the Lenz Railcom, but I've read somewhere that not every Lenz decoder is Railcom equipped.  Kato drop in decoders don't support Railcom.  I don't know if the EZ product can be integrated into the Lenz system, but it would make sense if it did.  That's what Digitrax has done with the Zephyr.  The Zephyr, btw, has a 3A power supply which should comfortably cope with 6-7 trains.  You'll also be able to confirm that your Digitrax decoders are Transponding properly.

I don't accept the analogy with Apple Inc. which has been supported by several forum members.

Cheers

The_Ghan

That is correct. I wouldn't buy the more expensive because regardless if it can be upgraded or not I won't be using it on my next layout.

I think I will sit on this one for a bit and decide in the coming weeks if to buy or not.

Well ... I get that ... NOW :grin  :grin  :grin

i was looking at 2 sets i can't find the other with the controller i mentioned but there is this too!

http://www.ehattons.com/38710/Graham_Farish_370_060_Digital_Commuter_set_with_2_tone_green_Class_24_and_2_Maroon_Mk1_coaches_/StockDetail.aspx

the diesel by itself is £82.45 then the carriages about £13 the set is £122

thats roughly £15 more + shipping for controller and track

You're thinking in reverse ... 370-105 is a 2 - car DMU set without digital for £100 - all you're missing is a trailer car and the EZ controller - £50 worth.  Also remember, the sum of the parts usually exceeds the cost of the whole, if that makes sense.

But as I said before ... if you want it just buy the damn thing ... although I'd suggest waiting 'till June when the wife goes back to Japan ...  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

Could you hook the EZ Command to Tomix tracks? I think that you would have to splice the Tomix track connector with the EZ controller jack.

Also if you have a train with a sound chip (dcc) and speaker, can you hear it on a dc track?

Best wishes,

Grant

Kei,

You are better off getting just getting a Zephyr and one or two decoders. It all about preparing for the next level modeling. These pieces you posted does very little to get you into the serious realm of DCC. Its more so about your knowledge and what you will be doing in the future. Your access to this forum moves your knowledge level and learning curve farther ahead than this starter set can support.    

You just need the Zephyr, and PM3 interface and 1 or 2 decoders. You already have a PC and just need to download JMRI. With that you will have at lease a years worth of DCC processes and projects to learn. That Bachman will have you wasting time and money in the long run.

Those starter systems are just a bait......

This is what I did ....

I started with a Zephyr learned the basics, added JMRI learned the programming through Decoder Pro, added the WiFi, using laptop as pc throttle then onto a iPod. I happened to pick up a DCS100 from a shop that was going out of business. Not one piece is/was wasted as it just added to my DCC capabilities.

I stripped a Kato feeder and wired it into the Zephyr and use it just like the Kato blue box. It better all around. I would even forgo the train and divert the money to get going in DCC. There is more to do and you will be ready knowledge and ability wise for you layout build.

Inobu

• Like 1

The Bachmann DCC is based on Lenz.  There's a series of Youtube videos about it.

Yes, you are right! Also, I did the Google after the post :)

Guest Closed Account 1

The Zephyr and a 24" test track travel with me to the clubhouse and shows. I also use it at home. It communicates with JRMI.

With JRMI, you can use your iPhone or Android to control your trains. http://withrottle.com/WiThrottle/Home.html

Model Railroading has come along way since Marx made the first one in the 1940's.

The DCC controller you need must have a digital display otherwise you don't know the digital address or the CV's.

CV's, the Configuration Variables is where the fun of DCC is.

Otherwise with Bachmann's toy controllers you may as well stay DC.

Don't waste your money on a toy system.

Buy the system you really need now for your layout.

I started with a Zephy, and it's a good system.  As several others have said, it sets you up for later growth with the Digitrax system of walkaround throttles and Loconet accessories.  It can even be converted to work as a booster if you later decided you need more power (and a Zepher can power a lot of N-scale all on its own) or a more sophisticated Digitrax controller. The same can likely be said of some of the other more expensive entry-level systems, but I don't know them myself.

All that said, the Zephyr has a user interface straight from the 1980s and it was clearly designed by a computer programmer. Programming CVs with it is harder than it needs to be, and had me pulling my hair out when I first bought it. And their documentation varies from pretty good to downright illegible. If you're comfortable with a "programming a VCR" level of working with hardware, they're pretty easy to use, but you'll likely have to spend some time learning the system. I don't regret buying my Zephyr.  For me it was the right level to buy in at, and while I've moved on to a Digitrax DCS100, I wouldn't have wanted to start with that (the Zephyr sits on my workbench and is still used for testing and setup).

Some of the beginner-oriented systems may not do as much, but what they can do they can do easily (or at least it is not impossibly hard). If you can, find a local hobby store that will demonstrate a couple of systems and be a place you can go for hands-on advice, and buy from them. You can get a feel for how easy the system is for you to use.  And by buying there, even if it costs a bit more, you're paying for their future help and advice. DCC isn't really that hard, but the initial learning curve can be quite frustrating, particularly if you aren't really interested in playing with electronics and just want to run trains. And while systems like the Zephyr make that easier than the larger DCC systems, they're not really simple. What will work best for you will depend on how comfortable you are learning that kind of technology.

Of course, if you're on a budget and can get a good deal on a very basic system like Bachman's, that isn't a bad choice as long as it is a "DCC" system.

And with any of these, all you need are two wires to the track unless you have some complex track that loops back on itself or needs to be fed in multiple spots for continuity, although you would need to splice into the existing feeder wire for modular track systems like Unitrack or Tomix since everyone uses different connectors.

No matter what system you buy, anyone's DCC decoder will be compatible, so even if you start with Bachman or another beginner system, as long as it's "DCC" you can use the trains with another system later.

• Like 1

question for you then. I have read the manual on the zephyr plus, and it looks as though i can only have it running on 1 line plus the programming track.

I have 2 lines so i would need to get a second zephyr and connect via the loco net a/b plugs to run trains on both lines?