amsterdam train crash

keitaro

Lucky they were traveling slow at the time this could have been a really bad disaster.

On a side note that yellow and blue livery.... yuck. Still i guess the blue goes better with it than steel and canary yellow.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/one-dead-after-amsterdam-train-collision/story-e6frfku0-1226335812353

http://www.news.com.au/world/amsterdam-train-crash-claims-victim/story-fn6sb9br-1226335817741

Martijn Meerts

We've had the blue and yellow for a LONG time already, although it used to be more yellow ;)

They still don't know what caused the crash...

Martijn Meerts

Newspaper today says the driver of the local train ignored a stop sign, although she might just not have been able to see it due to the low hanging sun shining directly into her face.

Experts say it was only a matter of a time before something like this happened on this stretch of track, the safety system there is 60 year old, and actually doesn't stop trains when they run a red light and are running at speeds below 40km/h ...

bikkuri bahn

Newspaper today says the driver of the local train ignored a stop sign, although she might just not have been able to see it due to the low hanging sun shining directly into her face.

Experts say it was only a matter of a time before something like this happened on this stretch of track, the safety system there is 60 year old, and actually doesn't stop trains when they run a red light and are running at speeds below 40km/h ...

Bi-directional running without some form of positive train control is an accident waiting to happen.

I read yesterday that one driver was hurt very badly, but the other not. Then probably the driver from the local train wouldn't be hurt very badly, because he/she couldn't have talked probably then.

It's really weird that they still haven't upgraded ATB in the whole country to a higher level on which trains will always stop. I'm still surprised that a speed of about 40km/h can result in such a disaster.

bikkuri bahn
I'm still surprised that a speed of about 40km/h can result in such a disaster.

You have to consider the momentum generated by the massive weight of each trainset, and if the two trainsets were both traveling at 40km/h, the impact is the equivalent of a collision at 80km/h.