Indian train drivers angry over 'dead body' order

Guest ___

Indian train drivers angry over 'dead body' order Published on Apr 18, 2012, Straits Times

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Asia/Story/STIStory_790132.html

NEW DELHI (AFP) - Train drivers in India are up in arms after being told in new directives that they should remove dead bodies from the tracks to help cut down on delays, trade unions said on Wednesday.

Indian Railways issued a circular last month instructing assistant drivers and guards to 'load the dead body on the brake van and remove it to the nearest gate lodge or the next station' to reduce disruption to running schedules.

'It is inherently illegal,' complained Sanjay Kumar Padhi, one of the heads of the Indian Railways Loco Running Organisation, who read out the circular over the phone.

'The removal of dead bodies from the tracks by guards and drivers will amount to the removal of primary evidence from the scene of a crime,' Mr Padhi told AFP. 'The railways is clearly jumping the signal on this one,' he added, explaining that it was up to the police to handle the bodies and investigate the cause of death.

bikkuri bahn

Was the choice of words on that last quote by Mr. Padhi intentional, or was he unknowingly being a wag on that one?? :cheesy

Anyway, sympathize with the drivers.

They couldn't pay me enough to do that, the last thing a train driver wants to do after running over someone is to have to pick up the body. One problem with this procedure that doesn't seem to be addressed is that a body that's been run over by a train is not usually in one piece, I know it's a bit of a gruesome picture but it often takes the police several hours to collect everything.

What concerns me about this directive is that it may encourage some to crime. Imagine a situation where a body is dumped on the tracks and with the drivers contaminating a crime scene (assuming they follow the directive), the real culprits may go free because the court will dismiss any evidence proving their involvement. I am from India, and I am really surprised to read about this. In the past, the railways or other government bodies have been quick to respond and withdraw / change such directives. I would think the directive will at least be suspended until further notice. That is how things are usually buried there!

It does seem to me like a railway manager making one of their usual, well thought out decisions.

In Queensland a train can't be moved again after a fatality without the authority of the police, the train driver as operator of the vehicle could be charged with leaving the scene of an accident.