Container transfer on the Mitsui Miike

Nick_Burman

Nick_Burman

Now here is one container operation which is dying to be modelled...

Cheers NB

• Like 1
Guest JRF-1935

Thanks Nick - Great vid ! 

Would you happen to know what that flat car behind #11 is?  Looks like weights or something.  Very curious !

Rich C

Thanks Nick - Great vid ! 

Would you happen to know what that flat car behind #11 is?  Looks like weights or something.  Very curious !

Rich C

The 4 wheel flat car carries batteries to power the loco in parts of the plant that have no overhead. When I was there last November they were moving those cars from their yard into the plant one at a time but I couldn't get into plant property to see what went on out of sight. The track leading from the yard into the plant was unwired, by the look of this video there must be at least some wired track inside the plant.

My shot shows sister loco No.12 sitting in the yard with it's pantograph up charging the batteries between jobs.

post-218-13569930564317_thumb.jpg

Guest JRF-1935

Thanks Westfalen !

Makes perfect sense now.  I noticed the pan was down in the vid and thought the loco was maybe a combo diesel-electric like here in the states.  Appreciate the info and pic - nice shot BTW.  Question?  Are the battery boxes 5 long or 10 double boxes?  Would like to try to model one.

Rich C

Nick_Burman

Thanks Westfalen !

Makes perfect sense now.  I noticed the pan was down in the vid and thought the loco was maybe a combo diesel-electric like here in the states.  Appreciate the info and pic - nice shot BTW.  Question?  Are the battery boxes 5 long or 10 double boxes?  Would like to try to model one.

Rich C

Looks like double boxes. There seems to be va narrow passageway between the boxes.

Cheers NB

Guest JRF-1935

Thanks Westfalen !

Rich C

Looks like double boxes. There seems to be va narrow passageway between the boxes.

Cheers NB

Thanks Nick

Rich C

Two rows of 5.

Thanks Westfalen - and thanks for more pictures - nice shots !

Rich C

I thought I'd posted the video I took but I haven't got that far through last years trip yet. I'm playing around with a new computer and video editing program so I'll have a go at it.

Guest JRF-1935

Two rows of 5.

Thanks Westfalen - and thanks for more pictures - nice shots !

Rich C

I thought I'd posted the video I took but I haven't got that far through last years trip yet. I'm playing around with a new computer and video editing program so I'll have a go at it.

Thanks - Looking forward to it.

Rich C

Here is my video.

Part one shows the JR freight passing the interchange yard on its way to Omuta station yard with the day's inbound cars then steeple cab No.19 delivers the outbound cars to the interchange and returns light to the chemical plant yard, after JR swaps the cars (which I didn't see because I was on foot and wanted to see the plant shunting, I believe JR has a DE10 based at Omuta as the connection is not wired due to differing voltages) 19 returns light and retrieves the inbound cars and spots them in the plant yard. The yellow containers always seem to be kept apart from the others, maybe two chemicals that don't agree with each other.

In part two the crew have parked No.19 and use No.12 to take the green containers into the plant one at a time. After they had finished they seemed to go on their lunch break so I walked back to Omuta station to see the JR freight leave northbound with the outwards loading.

Part two will come tomorrow, I noticed after I uploaded it that I'd messed up the editing.

• Like 1

Over the last couple of years I come to think I should try to capture as much of this type of stuff as I can when I'm in Japan while it's still around.

Guest JRF-1935

Over the last couple of years I come to think I should try to capture as much of this type of stuff as I can when I'm in Japan while it's still around.

I certainly appreciate it!

Rich C