Jōsō Line in Ibaraki

catcliffedemon

I've recently moved to central Ibaraki and my local line is the Kanto Railway's Jōsō Line, which runs from Toride to Shimodate (via Moriya and Shimotsuma). Here are a few shots of the typical single-car Kiha 2400 DMUs that you'll see during the day. They do operate other sets, including two-car units at busier periods, so I'll get round to photographing them at some point.

7026484949_baeaff240e_z.jpg

6869658682_612aa9f4b9_z.jpg

6873280272_3b26929ab5_z.jpg

• Like 5

love how the bridge sign says the name.

I have seen these before and let me say it's a lovely area.

though i preffer kiha 58's  :grin

Isn't that line one of the most expensive ones to ride? At least that's what my girlfriend says. She grew up in Shimodate, at the end of the Jōsō line.

I do however like the fact that the Kanto Railway operates 3-door DMU as the main part of their fleet. They are all somehow evolutions of the JNR KIHA 35 Type. It's IMO a very cool idea to see commuter DMU in Japan, since they are pretty rare.

According to my November 2011 timetable the 51.1 km trip from Shimodate to Toride costs 1460 Yen, a bit more expensive than the standard JR fare for that distance of 950 Yen but still not bad for an hour and a half ride.

catcliffedemon

Yeah, I've spoken to a few of the locals and they do grumble about the cost. It's easily cheaper to drive to Moriya than take the train from Shimotsuma so I don't really understand why it is so expensive. However, the trains always look well used, so they must justify those 2/3 trains per hour schedule.

bikkuri bahn

I reckon they have a business transporting high school students (who can't drive) in the morning and evening.  They have subsidized or otherwise discounted season passes.

i don't get why people grumble i think the prices are pretty fair for 50 km 1460 yen i pay $12 for a return similar distance takes 1h 45mins and that after the govt has covered practially 60% of the real cost.

At least they are putting the profits towards keeping the railcars painted and clean.

agreed I wonder if they get financial help for the local govt, I doubt it for that price.

catcliffedemon

The price compares well with the Tsukuba Express as well, but it's about 50-100% more expensive to use the Joso/Tsukuba option to travel to Akihabara than it is to travel the similar distance from Koga to Ueno. Apparently it's the busiest non-electrified private line in Japan so it must be doing something right.

bikkuri bahn

I want to make a trip to the Joso Line to ride one of the two ex-JNR kiha 30's that they still keep in service, numbered as 101 and 102, they run on a few selected schedules between Mitsukaido and Shimodate:

http://www.kantetsu.co.jp/train/syaryo/newcolor.html

action from around 0:29:

a tour of the Kanto Rlwy. workshops.  They have to send the wheelsets to an outside contractor for grinding (a Keio Rlwy subsidiary in Hachioji in this case):

bikkuri bahn

catcliffedemon, nice shot of that railcar with Mt. Tsukuba in the background.  Quintessential Ibaraki...

• Like 1
catcliffedemon

nice I love the dd502

wish i could get a model of that. would be nice to see them do a restore on it.

Yeah, when you compare the colour it is now with the rich brown livery that it was painted it is quite sad.

Thanks for the kind words all! I really need to start casting my net further afield now, I'm not that far from the JR Utsunomiya and Jōban Lines, and there are all those private systems in Tokyo to record as well!

• Like 1

Great pictures not only of the trains but also the environs of the railway, thanks for posting them

westfalen

nice I love the dd502

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%96%A2%E6%9D%B1%E9%89%84%E9%81%93DD502%E5%BD%A2%E3%83%87%E3%82%A3%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BC%E3%83%AB%E6%A9%9F%E9%96%A2%E8%BB%8A

Its something I'd buy if World Kougei made one. They certainly don't lavish as much attention on the old girl as they do on their railcars. :sad:

nice I love the dd502

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%96%A2%E6%9D%B1%E9%89%84%E9%81%93DD502%E5%BD%A2%E3%83%87%E3%82%A3%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BC%E3%83%AB%E6%A9%9F%E9%96%A2%E8%BB%8A

Its something I'd buy if World Kougei made one. They certainly don't lavish as much attention on the old girl as they do on their railcars. :sad:

yeah. Anyone know if it's in use or just rusting? i'll take it off their hands  :grin