steam auto mobile

keitaro

I know a bit about real/prototype steam railcars, nothing at all about the model. Which one are you asking about, Dave?

Cheers,

Mark.

i guess more so the prototype of this or others used in japan was not too much to be had in wiki or google unless i am searching the wrong terms.

the model does look great though for world kougei

Nick_Burman

i guess more so the prototype of this or others used in japan was not too much to be had in wiki or google unless i am searching the wrong terms.

the model does look great though for world kougei

The prototype for the World Kougei car is the steam car which was exhibited for years at the Meiji-mura and now is at the Nagoya museum. AFAIK there was only one unit.

The Seto Railway (today's Meitetsu Seto Line) started its life with Serpollet steam cars. The fact that they electrified quite quickly says something about the popularity of this kind of equipment.

Cheers NB

Nick, the Meiji-mura car differs from the model - see this photo:

japan595.jpg

The model has an arched roof as opposed to a clerestory roof, and there appear to be other detail differences. I'm sure I've seen  a reference somewhere to there having been a number of these cars built, but I'm buggered if I can remember where?

As for the Seto Railway Serpollet cars, I think that their shortcomings don't necessarily extend to steam railcars as a whole. The Serpollet boilers were a flash-steam type, ideal for use in road vehicles, but not really suited to a railway operating environment. And the cars themselves were fragile things that were very demanding to operate and maintain.

I think it's fair to say that steam railcars did enjoy some popularity when I/C-powered railcars were in their infancy. And a surprising number had long and quite successful careers. Down in your part of the world the Central Of Peru and the Tacna-Arica both had Sentinels - I believe the Tacna -Arica unit still runs, although it's converted to diesel.

And Dave, my apologies for not replying sooner, but I've been busy making the kids some hats for their school Easter hat parade!  :cheesy

Cheers.

The guidebook I picked up at the Nagoya Museum gives a very brief history of the car, but doesn't mention how many where built.

Alvin, I'd be interested in knowing more about this car - as you might have guessed I'm rather keen on steam railcars.  :laugh:

Cheers,

Mark.

And Dave, my apologies for not replying sooner, but I've been busy making the kids some hats for their school Easter hat parade!  :cheesy

no worries champ, i'm sure it will be quite a while before another model of this comes out.

Sot this is still in the museum? will have to go get some shots of it if i get the chance in august.

Here are a couple of shots I took. You can even get overhead shots from the second floor balcony but I didn't take any.

Mark, I'm afraid all I can tell you is what it says in the guide book.

This steam passenger car was rare in that it housed both a steam engine and a passenger car. It was used on local lines in the Meiji and Taisho eras. The "Kudo style" of this passenger car enabled easy removal and installation of the steam engine.

Car History: Hoji 6014 -> Jiha 6006 -> Kiha 6401

Car Type: Hoji 6014

Year of Manufacture: 1913

Manufacturer: Kisha Seizo

Pass Capacity: 80

Total Length: 15,088mm

Weight: 23.75t

*This rollingstock on display is shown as it was in 1913.

post-218-13569930563118_thumb.jpg

post-218-1356993056375_thumb.jpg

bikkuri bahn

Some more info about this unit:

It started out operating in the Kansai region, but in 1918 was transferred to the coal mining region of northern Kyushu around Nogata.  It was retired in 1944 and acquired by Meitetsu, with the intention of operating it on the Gamagori Line, but remained stored at the Kariya Depot, and was retired from service by that railway in March of 1951.  It subsequently was displayed at Inuyama Park, but in 1962, on the 90th anniversary of the establishment of railways in Japan, it was declared an important railway relic and fully restored by JNR Nagoya Works.  However it was moved in 1967 to Meiji Mura (owned by Meitetsu) and put on static display.

Some pictures if it in Meitetsu colors:

http://heartland.geocities.jp/lundi2003n/_gl_images_/img066.jpg

http://heartland.geocities.jp/lundi2003n/_gl_images_/img613.jpg

*As you can see, the front doors easily open to allow access to the boiler, or to facilitate removal of the boiler and attached running gear.

Nick_Burman

Nick, the Meiji-mura car differs from the model - see this photo:

japan595.jpg

The model has an arched roof as opposed to a clerestory roof, and there appear to be other detail differences. I'm sure I've seen  a reference somewhere to there having been a number of these cars built, but I'm buggered if I can remember where?

As for the Seto Railway Serpollet cars, I think that their shortcomings don't necessarily extend to steam railcars as a whole. The Serpollet boilers were a flash-steam type, ideal for use in road vehicles, but not really suited to a railway operating environment. And the cars themselves were fragile things that were very demanding to operate and maintain.

I think it's fair to say that steam railcars did enjoy some popularity when I/C-powered railcars were in their infancy. And a surprising number had long and quite successful careers. Down in your part of the world the Central Of Peru and the Tacna-Arica both had Sentinels - I believe the Tacna -Arica unit still runs, although it's converted to diesel.

Cheers.

Of Sentinels I know - we had 4 here in Brazil, all meter-gauge, 3 (including an inspection saloon!) on the Leopoldina Railway and the 4th on the Bragantina division of the Sao Paulo Railway.

Of all the steam cars the Sentinels could be called the most successful, however most other designs left a lot to be desired...

Cheers NB