Salute the Train

Eisenbahn

Last week at Narita Terminal 2 JR Station, I saw a uniformed platform attendent come to attention and salute the incoming Narita Express.  Today I posted the photo of this on the forum Gallery under Japanese Prototypes. How widespread is this practice In Tokyo ( or Japan generally) ? 

Does any other country do this anymore?  Forum members may have seen films from earlier times where trains were saluted in Germany but I have not see it done there in  modern times.

cheers...Eisenbahn

ps how do I post photos here with the text?

It wasn't on the 11th march by any chance ?? just saying as it may have been to do with the tsunami and the minute silence.

Otherwise i have never noticed them salute. Though i never really pay attention to them more so the train.

Hi Keitaro

I took the photo about 8am on the way in to Tokyo probably Wednesday 14 March. Actually I saw this guy there another day and he quickly snapped off a salute to the NEX then also after handing a lost coat to a passenger.

Hi disturbman,

Thanks for copying over my photo from the gallery. I will try to copy over some others I posted on the Gallery on another topic.

cheers....Eisenbahn

When I was in highschool there in 1984 every train got a salute. 

I just love the pride the Japanese people have.

Cheers

The_Ghan

It depends where and when you are.

Crew change on the Keikyu

JR Station Master at Mikunigaoka station on the Hanwa line.

Conductor shift change.

• Like 3

Bill - Great videos, my favorite is the changing of the conductors......I can't imagine anything like that in on the MTA or LIRR.....if they ever did the commuters would be in shock! :grin

I think it's one of the things that makes Japan great ... as for the female tram drivers ... hmmmm ... but I'm married !!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

bikkuri bahn

When you have a trainee doing the crew change, everything is all stiff and by the book (raised voices and the like).  The regular changes are more routine.