Unitrack & forming radius

Bernard

When I was planing out my layout I wanted to run 2 main lines together. I came up with some odd radii so I opted for flex track since I can form and radius I wanted to.

I have been told that with Unitrack (and maybe Tomix finetrack) you can also make your own radii by cutting the track. I just curious but if this is true, how would you be able to do this since you're cutting into an establish radius to form a new radius?

Guest Powersteamguy1790

When I was planing out my layout I wanted to run 2 main lines together. I came up with some odd radii so I opted for flex track since I can form and radius I wanted to.

I have been told that with Unitrack (and maybe Tomix finetrack) you can also make your own radii by cutting the track. I just curious but if this is true, how would you be able to do this since you're cutting into an establish radius to form a new radius?

Bernard:

You can form different radii by combining different Unitrack radii. I can use 28 1/2 " radii say for example with 19" radii in an easement and come up with a 23-24" radii.

I often cut sections of Unitrack with a straight razor back saw to make odd pieces to fill in certain areas.

My new layout will have 28 " radii for the most part along with 19" radii in certain areas.

Stay cool and run steam..... 8) 8)

Bob - Looking at the design of Unitrack, I know there are slots that the Kato rail joiners fit into, but after you cut the Unitrack, one side of the track will be missing the slots, do you have to use different rail joiners to make the odd pieces fit back together?

Do you also have to use rail nippers to cut the Unitrack along with the razor saw?

Guest Powersteamguy1790

Bob - Looking at the design of Unitrack, I know there are slots that the Kato rail joiners fit into, but after you cut the Unitrack, one side of the track will be missing the slots, do you have to use different rail joiners to make the odd pieces fit back together?

Do you also have to use rail nippers to cut the Unitrack along with the razor saw?

Bernard:

On cut sections of Unitrack, I use Atlas railjoiners to join the cut section to the Unitrack. I remove some of the road bed of the cut section so the Atlas or Peco rail joiner can slip on.

Just use the straight razor saw to cut the Unitrack. You can smooth the ends with some very fine sandpaper if it warrants it.

Stay cool and run steam... 8) 8)