South Korea Yeongdong Line switchback

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Heavy freight on switchbacks!

Coal train at Heungjeon:

Cement train and then a Mugungwha train, at Nahanjeong Station, note the mechanical linkages for the points:

Cab ride on a Mugungwha train, from Heungjeon signal box to Nahanjeong Station, and then onto the main line:

Unfortunately, this switchback line is due to replaced with a tunnel this year :sad:

Nick_Burman

Coal train at Heungjeon:

Cement train and then a Mugungwha train, at Nahanjeong Station, note the mechanical linkages for the points:

Cab ride on a Mugungwha train, from Heungjeon signal box to Nahanjeong Station, and then onto the main line:

Unfortunately, this switchback line is due to replaced with a tunnel this year :sad:

Also the Alsthom electrics are apparently due for replacement.

Don't tell the Koreans (and incidentally the Chinese), but it's incredible how much of their railroading is still Japanese-inspired...:lipssealed:

Cheers NB

Coal train at Heungjeon:

Cement train and then a Mugungwha train, at Nahanjeong Station, note the mechanical linkages for the points:

Also the Alsthom electrics are apparently due for replacement.

Don't tell the Koreans (and incidentally the Chinese), but it's incredible how much of their railroading is still Japanese-inspired...:lipssealed:

Cheers NB

Or The Taiwanese. :grin

I'm tempted now to go on a trip to Korea, it's a  place you don't hear much about railway wise, compared to their Japanese neighbours that is.

bikkuri bahn
I'm tempted now to go on a trip to Korea, it's a  place you don't hear much about railway wise, compared to their Japanese neighbours that is.

Korea has a nascent railfan community, it seems.  But apparently there are more bus fans (May the Lord have mercy on them), and home-country model railway items are (almost?) non-existent.  So you can have pretty much a train watching location to yourself.  I was at Seoul Station this summer, and I was the only one taking pictures of trains- no hordes of tetsuota like at Omiya.  Korea has a unique vibe to it- kinda mixture of Japanese and US railway practices- on one track you'll have a Japanese style EMU stopping at the station, and on a through track you'll have a loco-hauled passenger headed by an EMD type, with its distinctive 645 turbocharger whine.

I found an old series about Korean railways by Japanese on YouTube. It's 6 parts, so I made it into a playlist.

Warning: 1980s overload!

Nick_Burman

Or The Taiwanese. :grin

Yes, however in the case of China and Korea, any mention of anything Japanese makes them touchy...

Cheers NB