JAM in August, who is going?

rpierce000

Who is going to JAM? I would love to set up a dinner where JNS Forum folks could meet and talk.

Bob

Martijn Meerts

Isn't August usually the time when most Japanese people tell westerners NOT to come to Japan because of the hear/humidity? :)

I would love to visit JAM some time, but not this year. Planning a trip to Kyoto for October.

I am heading to Japan in Oct with a friend.  Summer is too hot and humid for me too but I will definitely think about it if JAM is in a season other than summer.

Thanks for the thought Bob!

Martijn, one of our stops in Japan is Kyoto.  We have a friend from Kyoto who might be able to give you some advice.  Please feel free to PM me if you have any question.

Martijn Meerts

Seems a lot of people are planning a trip around October, I believe The Ghan will be there around that time as well :)

Any advice is welcome really.. I was considering trying to rent a bicycle for a few days if the weather is good enough, but I hear it's not very common to rent bikes in Japan..

i will be there in august but not sure on jam might not be able to make it if realline do a show only model though i may just be able to make myself make it.

The show is the 17th to the 19th. I HAVE to be there to meet and greet the big shots from the smaller companies to try to set up dealerships and bypass the wholesalers, but I still will have lots of time to see friends!

Sleeping on couches, so it won't be too bad.

Bob

bikkuri bahn
Isn't August usually the time when most Japanese people tell westerners NOT to come to Japan because of the hear/humidity?

August is not the ideal time to visit if you don't like hot summers and crowds, otherwise it's fine.  It beats snowy winters in my book.

I was considering trying to rent a bicycle for a few days if the weather is good enough, but I hear it's not very common to rent bikes in Japan..

You can rent bicycles in any big city in Japan, especially in areas where there are a concentration of tourist attractions.  If you are planning to use a bicycle for more than 10 days, it's better to just buy one, you can get one that sells for 9000 yen new, less used.  You can sell it to a recycle shop when you are done with it.  Most people don't rent bicycles because the public transport is so good, and the neighborhoods are more suitable for just walking.

bikes are awesome till you plan on hiking though the woods and worry about leaving it unattended.

but then you realise i'm in japan and its not as worrying anymore  :grin

I've had at least 7 or 8 bicycles stolen here in Japan. Once my wife and I both had our bicycles stolen on the same day. But it was my fault earlier for not locking my bicycles and more recently leaving it parked but locked on the main road outside our apartment building. But even then, Japan is much better than other places.

What is JAM?

Best wishes,

Grant

bikkuri bahn

I've had at least 7 or 8 bicycles stolen here in Japan. Once my wife and I both had our bicycles stolen on the same day. But it was my fault earlier for not locking my bicycles and more recently leaving it parked but locked on the main road outside our apartment building. But even then, Japan is much better than other places.

What is JAM?

Best wishes,

Grant

They say you should double lock your bicycle, it's been promoted recently on PSA posters- use the lock supplied with the cycle, and a sturdy u lock or thick wire lock purchased separately.  Most thefts are done by delinquents who ride a bicycle and then dump it when they finish, they will ignore cycles that can't be jimmied; there isn't enough of drug problem to have theft on a scale seen in say, Amsterdam, nor are Japanese city cycles sexy enough to attract other lowlife profiteers.

JAM is a model railroad organization that has an annual convention:

http://jam.gr.jp/

JAM is THE big annual Model Train Show in Japan. It is where Tomix, Kato, and the other big boys show you what next year will look like.

There are also a lot of layouts, individual competitions for best model in about a dozen classes etc. It takes place at the Tokyo "Big Event" convention center which is HUGE. I do not know if they use all six halls though...

I went to the Tokyo auto show there once and my feet hurt for a week! (Long story, I used to work for EDS Japan when GM owned it...)

• Like 1

Thanks for the info on bicycles, and sorry for derailing the thread =)

Hi Martijn,

Finally got a chance to talk to my friend. In Kyoto, most of the bike rentals are in the centre of town.  Not very close to the main train station.  The city is pedestrian heavy with no lane reserved for a city wide cycling system.  There is also a lack of proper bike parking to hold the demand.  However, the city is working towards it.

Leo