Q: Woodland Scenics N A2062 Assorted Workers Economy Pack

Hobby Dreamer

Hobby Dreamer

Hi Guys,

Slowly buying scenery and figures: Are the Woodland figures worth it?

I'm looking for general figures for use at a construction site and/or port..

Thanks

Rick

That's one heck of an economy pack. At MB Klein prices that's 85 cents a figure for some well-detailed figures.  Seems worth it to me if you can use most of them somehow.

The downside is that "Packages vary in content and may contain duplicates" (per Woodland Scenics) and some of the WS sets are pretty useless, so unless you're buying at a hobby store where you can see what you're getting, there's some risk there will be a bunch of ones you have little use for (a set of Barnyard Animals, or mid-century North American track workers in overalls, for example).  Still, with figures running $1.60, $1.80 or $2 each for the good ones (normal WS, Preiser and Faller, respectively) you're saving enough to afford a few misses, and most of the rest can probably be used in the background to fill in a scene.

My WS figures seem to run 10 - 11.5 mm for male figures, which in 1:150 works out to 5' to 5' 8" (150 - 172.5cm), whereas in 1:160 they'd be 5' 3" to 6' (160 - 184cm), so I think they'd look reasonably sized even on a Japanese layout.

I use WS figures (among others), but I hadn't run across this set before. I can see some of those in my future.

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks Guys..

I saw these at MB Klein and there are places with "slightly" lower prices. I don't like the guys in overalls but there is an appeal to getting a whole bunch at one time and its cheaper.. I like the Preiser  figures and they used to sell unpainted figures in volume, but the WS seem painted.

I also like the Kato figures and there are some that are ideal for a construction site!

The nice part about N scale is that the figures don't have to be perfect because you can hardly see them!

Rick

I personally like the Tomytec figures - they are less detailed then the Kato/Woodland ones, more detailed then the Chinese ebay ones, but come at a good price (was $4 for 12 a while ago) and have a good selection for Japanese modeling.

The Tomytec figures are a good buy if you get them with something else to cover the shipping (I suppose they'd be cheap to ship SAL as you could get a lot in the weight limit, but I don't have experience with that).  HS has them at US$6.38 for 12 right now (filed under Tomytec Visual Scene at HS).

But oddly, getting back to the original question, when they came out with the Tomytec construction site stuff two year's back, there doesn't seem to have been any construction worker set to go with it.  Maybe the Many People in the Field packs were intended for that (people in different colored work coveralls). They do have several sets of People in the Fishing Port now that I look at them, although those seem to include some shopkeeper types.