DD54 1/80 16.5mm

bikkuri bahn

The second release from Zoukeimura in their Super Rail series:

http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/products/srs02_DD54.html

Thankfully an affordable price (for HO scale premium plastic).  Not a type I would get though, as they were limited to operation out of Fukichiyama Depot on the Bantan, San-in and Fukuchiyama Lines.

I think this has been posted before, but the prototype in action:

• Like 2

bb, that's a nice looking model, but as you say, rather limited in its range. Good video though - interesting to see them assisting steam in so many scenes.

Cheers,

Mark.

Not a type I would get though, as they were limited to operation out of Fukichiyama Depot on the Bantan, San-in and Fukuchiyama Lines.

I thought I'd be immune to the charms of this loco, but I picked one up from eBay the other day. It's a superb model. I've run it at the club, very pleased with it's performance and finish, so now I'm going to put all the detail parts on. I'll post some photos when I'm finished.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 1
Fenway Park

The class were a failure and it is likely the steam locomotive has been added to insure the train reached its destination!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
Fenway Park

Hi Mark

The DD54 class was a diesel hydraulic using MAN engine. They suffered from cooling problems, hydraulic failures and were all withdrawn by 1978, not long after the steam locos they were introduced to replace.

My comments may have been a bit tongue in cheek, but C57s were kept on the San In line longer than originally planned as the DD54 were not performing well.

Malcolm

• Like 1

Thanks for that Malcolm. I'll be away for a few days but I'd like to follow up on this when I'm back.

All the best,

Mark.

Davo Dentetsu
Hi Mark The DD54 class was a diesel hydraulic using MAN engine. They suffered from cooling problems, hydraulic failures and were all withdrawn by 1978, not long after the steam locos they were introduced to replace. My comments may have been a bit tongue in cheek, but C57s were kept on the San In line longer than originally planned as the DD54 were not performing well. Malcolm

Interesting, so a very similar setup to a BR Western Class 52?

Fenway Park

The majority of JNR modern diesels were hydraulic. The exception were the DF50 which were diesel electric with either Sulzer or MAN engines. The DD51 class are still going strong as are the remainder of the DE10s.

Will try to find out more about the DD54.

Malcolm

• Like 1