Rio tinto trying driverless trains

keitaro

Interesting.  I suppose the territory the trains go through is sufficiently remote and unpopulated that having a driverless train running on unfenced, non-grade separated row is safe?

The Pilbara is remote, but by no means unpopulated. Apart from the mining community, the area attracts a fair number of tourists. There have been incidents in the past where vehicles on level crossings have been driven into the side of moving trains in conditions of poor visibility/darkness.

But in any case, I don't think that safety is as important to Rio Tinto as maximising their profits. Also, the train crews in the Pilbara are largely unionised, and have frequently been in dispute with the mining companies. Got to keep the wage-slaves in their place, you know!

Cheers,

Mark.

The poor mining company presently has to pay one man to move 31,000 tonnes, I can see how uneconomical that must be. Gotta get money to pay the executives from somewhere I suppose. ???

A quite a few QR drivers have moved or are moving over there, lured by the call of the $$$'s.