kato viaduct station VS tommix overhead station

bigford

kato viaduct station VS tommix overhead station

whats the diffrence in the two??  i was looking at the tomix shops

and liked one for under the KVS

The kato has a larger station entrance unit that is more like a larger station or shinkansen station front/entrance along with two half size units with cafe and shops. They are double sided but only the width of a kato station plate (2 tracks and an island platform). You can be crafty if you want a wider station you can just cut these in half and put half on both sides.

The tomix are more smaller urban station entrances and a under station convince shop. Both also have end windows a,ong one side like there would be a street passing under the station. Both are double sided, but don't lend themselves to splitting them in half like the kato.

Kato and tomix are different heights with the tomix higher.

Here is a trick to make the station plates yourself if you need a larger one and don't want to buy a peck of them. If you laminate 3/16 Masonite, 3/16 foam core, and Formica (top) you get a structure that is the same thickness as the kato plates and the foam core layer is just right to poke the kato station sides into. I also found some gray granite pattern Formica cheap that looks a lot like track roadbed. I just used contact cement to do the lamination. The three plys also makes this very flat and stable and has survived many years now in cycles of dc humidity and dry winters w/o much support.

Cheers

Jeff

ford,

ill go dig mine out and see, but from what i remember it was higher and the station platform is part of the roof of the tomix shops.

kato station is same height of standard piers are and the station plates are the same thickness as he viaduct track base under the track.

jeff

ford,

ill go dig mine out and see, but from what i remember it was higher and the station platform is part of the roof of the tomix shops.

jeff

This is wrong.  The base for tracks and platforms is a separate piece Tomix 3062 which clips onto the roof of the store or ticket gates. The building top is simply an uneven base for 3062.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10028718

bill i correct. the station base fits into a notch on each edge of the top of the buildings. mine came with the station platform attached, but they are removable.

i just went looking for mine and i cant locate them, in all the use of my building on all the club layouts a few things have gotten scattered! i do remember trying to use them under the kato station and it being too tall (w/o the platform attached) but that was like 7 years back on the first jrm layout. i put them aside to look at chopping up for some project idea and i think that is when they got put aside into some box somewhere! anyone else have one of the tomix station units to measure the height w/o the platform?

the kato units are 1 15/16" high.

the stairs are internal on the tomix. you go thru the glass doors and there are ticket gates then a stairway. kato have stairs as well. one side has them on the inside past the doors and the other side has them outside with 2 converging sets. stairs are to then lead up to stairs and escalators coming up onto the platforms. its a bit of a perceived thing as i doubt it would all perfectly work out lining up in most folks setups!

cheers

jeff