I found the perfect DCC modules!

Dani

Hi all,

Since I started building my layout, I've been searching for accessories modules with special characteristics as I imagine the perfect DCC system:

* All accessory modules (outputs, retro, servo, lighting, ...) must be communicated through LocoNet (Digitrax and Uhlenbrock compatible). I don't want to waste the DCC "band width" for anything else than locos and rolling stock.

* Power to modules must be delivered through loconet connector (using Loconet professional with power wires, not as Uhlenbrock), and all modules must be feed with the same voltage. I don't want more wires crossing my layout to feed them.

* Servo modules must be able to drive the switch frogs through an optional relay board, as an option or expansion of the servo module. When feeding frogs, it must disconnect the frog power, do the movement and after feed again the frog with the correct polarity. In this way you avoid all problems and short circuits when changing polarity at the beginning, end, or in the middle of the movement (very difficult to adjust).

* Loop management module working by current consume detection, not by short circuit detection. I don't want short circuits in my layout, doesn't matter how well protected and short in time they be.

* Loop management module working stand alone or connected to Loconet to inform about the occupancy detectors.

* Lighting modules with many light effects

* Modules optoisolated from Loconet and other communication interfaces

* Programming should be done without the need to access fiscally to the module (no changing switches, disconnect other modules or similar)

* All wire connections through standard connectors or screw terminals, never soldered

* Modules for everything!!!!! Even to connect Loconet to internet or publish all services in a wireless. I want to drive everything with my tablet or PC with no wires, wireless.

* CHEAP! CHEAP! CHEAP! Possibility to do-it-myself and solder boards.

* Modular boards, one Loconet interface board and expansion boards for each type of accessory.

And there is always someone smarter than you, who already did it better than you thought. In this case his name is Peter Giling and he sells all this modules in the Rocrail project. I bought some module kits (loop management, retro module, servo module, relay board for servo and the standard Loconet board). Link: http://www.phgiling.net/

Modules are arround 20€ (buying the complete kit, with PIC already programmed and everything). But you can buy only boards (really cheap!!!) without components or boards with only programmed pics.

I hope to be able to solder and test some boards this weekend, I'll give you my feedback then. By now, all the material was received very well packaged and all parts very well identified.

Cheers,

Dani.

Martijn Meerts

Nothing to do with the modules, but I've been so put off by the club the guy belongs to, that I've never even considered looking at this stuff ;)

The club has the typical "we're better than you" attitude =)

Nothing to do with the modules, but I've been so put off by the club the guy belongs to, that I've never even considered looking at this stuff ;)

ooops.... bad attitude. I just landed there trying to find something cheaper and able to solve my problems with switch frogs and servos. I was testing Uhlenbrock and Digitrax, but they are expensive and I miss some important features for me. Working with PECO code 55 you must switch polarity when the turnout is in the middle of the movement. I'm fan of Rocrail and I found it there, I don't know anything about his club.... my contact has been only a few emails to ask some doubts and buy the kits, and I have nothing to complain (no bad attitudes). That guy spent a lot of time answering me all the doubts, and the price and module features are exactly what I was searching for.

Obviously the title of this post needs to add "... for me". Each one imposes his requisites to his layout, those modules are perfect for my expectations.

Let's see them in action...... I'll post results. No one has tested or installed them?

Cheers,

Dani.

• Like 1

No one has tested or installed them?

I built the ORD-3 (booster), MGV85 (LocoNet - RS232 interface), MGV50 (I/O LocoNet module) and MGV93 (current detector interface). Works perfectly so far!

Martijn Meerts

I seem to remember Mr. Giling himself being friendly enough, it's just the overall attitude of the club I don't like. I believe initially, all of these modules were designed for the club, and the club was selling them. Now that Mr. Giling is selling them himself I might just have a look at it.

For the Peco servo control, I've used ESU's servo decoders which have an add-on which controls the polarity of the frog, and those do indeed switch polarity when the frog is halfway through switching. Of course, ESU's decoder doesn't do LocoNet.

The club's layout, which I've seen in action several times (and runs on RocRail, which the club seems to think they've helped develop to a great extent ...), uses a lot of these modules, and the layout runs just fine.

I don't discriminate.  Everyone is better than me!!!  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

... but I just don't have the time to go building my own modules.

So totally agree.  Between an incredibly hectic work/travel schedule, helping the missus around the house, and trying to keep up with a 12-year old, I'm having to be very picky about how to spend the 17 minutes a day I have to do hobby stuff.  I'm all for plug-and-play.

Martijn Meerts

Or, for some systems, plug .. read the manual .. read it again because it makes little sense .. pray .. read the manual once more ..  .. and finally ask someone else to do it for you ;)

• Like 2

Or, for some systems, plug .. read the manual .. read it again because it makes little sense .. pray .. read the manual once more ..  .. and finally ask someone else to do it for you ;)

Yeah- this is where I am with trying to get JMRI with a USB-Serial converter to run on my Mac..... except I now try to do it after Nik goes to bed, 'cuz it ain't "pray" but "use colorful language" instead...

JMRI and USB adapters can be a real pain.  JMRI has gotten better, but the last time I re-installed mine I overlooked that my adapter still needed custom drivers installed (not a usual thing on a Mac).  It took me a nights sleep to figure that one out.

Martijn Meerts

You also have to make sure to get a USB-serial converter that works with the control stations. I have 2 of them, and 1 just doesn't work, regardless of which OS or program I use. Generally, you want one with an FTDI chip in it.

• Like 1

Looks like I've unintentionally hijacked the thread.  (apologies)

I had it all working a while ago.  Then we quit using it, and since then was a move to OSX10.6 and the newest version of JMRI. Now I have increased the size of the flat spot on my forehead from beating it against the wall.  I did re-download the latest drivers for the USB dongle, but no joy.

Yes, you can spend like 30 minutes soldering each board (maximum, because everything is through hole, not smd or difficult soldering, no pic programming, ...) and that's a problem for those without enough time. But then the configuration for these modules is straight and easy and I realized this time soldering compensate the time spent in the other modules configuration (done through CV's configuration, not graphical from the PC, having to change switches in the modules or connecting them to the programming track).

But it's true, if you are already in Digitrax system, Uhlenbrock or any other that you already know, all the new modules you install are more or less plug and pray play. It doesn't make sense to have half of the digital modules from one builder and the other half from another.

The only one I strongly suggest is the GCA102 for loop management. That one needs no configuration, can work independent and not connected to Loconet, and works by current consume detection instead of short circuit detection. After, if you want, you can connect it to Loconet and read the status of the detection sections.

Just a good solution for those in my case: more time than money.  :grin

Cheers,

Dani.

Martijn Meerts

Littfinski has a similar module for reverse loops, also works with current detection rather than short detection. I have one of those, but haven't built it yet (it's available in both kit and completed version, like most Littfinski items)

The short detection reverse loop modules work quite well in general, but I have had issues with one, which I think fried a decoder. Still need to check that :)