Inventory Tracking

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

Are you using inventory software, a custom database, or did you create a spread sheet?

What categories are you using for your spread sheet?

I had to create a quick one for the toy train museum from the current chaotic one and used these Column titles, in the order: road number, road name, category, description, color, manufacturer, manufacturer stock number, era, and columns for 2012-2015.

Since this will be a printout there is no room for photos.

I need to make one for my train collection.

Martijn Meerts

I had a spreadsheet once, but I managed to delete it somehow. Started a new one recently, to which I'll be adding trains once I've converted them to DCC and have added detail bits/decals where needed.

Still working on an online train database thingy, but progress is slow ....

.. Let me rephrase that.. Progress is VERY slow ;)

ive started a spreadsheet which i need to at least get up to date and stored off site along with some snapshots of the piles of stuff just in case there were ever a disaster. figure once the data is into a simple table i can always write a program to convert the data to a meta file to get sucked into a more sophisticated db later. data is the most important thing for me right now!

thought of doing a simple data base to add photos and such or backend to a web site, but pretty low on the priority list. figure its smarter to wait for martijn to finish his grand db and use that!

jeff

I use a series of spreadsheets: purchases, sales, roster, DCC.  They get me by.

I've experimented with the free version of Yard Office, but I'm yet to form a firm opinion.  Meanwhile, I've also started on a MS Access database for my roster.  This is slow going because of the MANY projects I'm working on, but it will get there.  Don't get me wrong, Yard Office works.  However, I don't like the fact that it doesn't use the MSDK compliant controls.  The different tabs seem to have an ad-hoc layout too.  I'm an organised person.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Using Bento to keep track of about 200 locos, MUs, etc.  What's nice is I can have Bento synched on the iPhone.  Between our collection and my aging grey matter, it's good to have an inventory list when we're out "shopping"

I've been thinking bento as a fast first step after I get all the data into a spreadsheet. It handles photos and media well and is fast to set up. May be all i would really need. The mobile app is nice as well. Maybe I should get my ground covers into bento so I can stop carrying my micro baggies of ground cover to show. Always feel like a drug dealer when I whip them out...

Jeff

I use bento to keep track (haha) of my trains, especially the price and the date, but others infos as well.

I waned to do the same for tracks but I notices that I have absolutely no use of it... ^^,

Guest Closed Account 1

Started my Spreadsheet.

I already have Numbers on the iMac and iPhone so I will use it for now until I want a better tool.

It can be stored in the iCloud and iDisk server for syncing.

What is nice is that I can insert images into the spreadsheet from the iPhone on the go.

I have also added a DCC columns (Address, CV, Decoder) just for reference.  My addresses are based on the road number so that's not an easily forgettable item for me. Brand is all TCS.

good, start simple and get the data together, most important thing! important to have in the cloud just incase something like a fire ever took out your place and the collection. im a bit scared to actually have the prices in there to see whats been invested over the years! i do need to see if its gone over the limit of a single collection thing like that on the insurance w/o documenting with them and perhaps a rider...

most db systems can suck out data from a csv file so you should be ok to move to bento or something like martijn's db later.

ok youre getting me to get off my arse now...

jeff