C13 2-6-4T?

marknewton

I actually like the proportions of that one better than the JNR C type tanks.  Maybe it's the smaller diameter driving wheels and the less scrunched up arrangement of the side tanks that makes for a cleaner more grounded look.

• Like 1

That's a nice looking engine.

The English computer translation of the Wikipedia article is a bit hard to follow but I think it says they (it? I can only see reference to C13 51) were converted from 2-6-0 tender engines. There is certainly a family resemblance to the C11 and C12.

• Like 1
I actually like the proportions of that one better than the JNR C type tanks.  Maybe it's the smaller diameter driving wheels and the less scrunched up arrangement of the side tanks that makes for a cleaner more grounded look.

I tend to agree, they're very handsome looking engines.

Cheers,

Mark.

That's a nice looking engine. The English computer translation of the Wikipedia article is a bit hard to follow but I think it says they (it? I can only see reference to C13 51) were converted from 2-6-0 tender engines.

I think there were three of these locos, judging by the various photos I've managed to find. As you say, they're apparently a conversion from a 2-6-0. I think they might have been converted from 8620 class engines, based on the similarity of the boiler, footplate, cylinders and motion. They do appear to have smaller diameter coupled wheels than the 8620s, but the spacing seems to be the same. Whatever their origins, they're certainly attractive little engines!  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi all,

This isn't a Nankai loco, rather it's from the Katakami Dowa Kogyo railway.

Cheers NB

nick do you have a link?

not claiming i am right just from my google searches in japanese most i could come up with is they were nankai locos modified from a previous line or company?

I'm sure i speak for everyone when i say it would be great to have a link with good information on this loco.

This type has a convoluted history.  It started out as a 2-6-0 tender type built in 1944 intended for phosphate traffic on Hainan Island in China (run by Ishihara Sangyo), but worsening wartime conditions including sealane interdiction shifted the locos to hauling freight in Yokkaichi (Mie Pref.), on what is now the JNR Kansai Main Line (Freight Line) from Shiohama (location even now of a mechanical lever operation signal box). Kintetsu, which at the time was running Nankai, has a station adjacent to Shiohama yard, noticed these locos (btw Kintetsu's Nagoya Line at this time was still 1067mm gauge), and since C58 and 8620 types were already running on the Nankai Koya line, acquired these locos.  At this time Japanese railways were resource poor, with many pieces of rolling stock damaged or destroyed by air raids, and steam locomotives were valuable for their durability,as well as ability to run almost anywhere.

The locomotives served for 3 years hauling a 2 car "express" service between Shiomibashi and Kawachi Nagano (2 trains inbound in the morning and 2 outbound in the evening).  They were retired in 1949 and sold to Katagami Railway, converted to a tank configuration, and served until 1966 when replaced by DD13 diesels.

• Like 2

Thanks Bikkuri, that makes sense of the translation of the Wikipedia article. Were they all converted to tank locos? the article only seems to mention C13 51.

Only two, C13 50 and 51 were converted.  The third (unconverted apparently) unit, originally number C10003, was kept by Kintetsu and based at their Furuichi rolling stock depot (on the Minami Osaka line), but its fate is not known after 1952.

nick do you have a link?

not claiming i am right just from my google searches in japanese most i could come up with is they were nankai locos modified from a previous line or company?

I'm sure i speak for everyone when i say it would be great to have a link with good information on this loco.

Keitaro, the second link you posted shows the loco working on the Katakami line. However BB's post shows that neither of us was all that far off - and furnished an interesting piece of locomotive history.

Cheers NB

This type has a convoluted history.  It started out as a 2-6-0 tender type built in 1944 intended for phosphate traffic on Hainan Island in China (run by Ishihara Sangyo), but worsening wartime conditions including sealane interdiction shifted the locos to hauling freight in Yokkaichi (Mie Pref.), on what is now the JNR Kansai Main Line (Freight Line) from Shiohama (location even now of a mechanical lever operation signal box). Kintetsu, which at the time was running Nankai, has a station adjacent to Shiohama yard, noticed these locos (btw Kintetsu's Nagoya Line at this time was still 1067mm gauge), and since C58 and 8620 types were already running on the Nankai Koya line, acquired these locos.   At this time Japanese railways were resource poor, with many pieces of rolling stock damaged or destroyed by air raids, and steam locomotives were valuable for their durability,as well as ability to run almost anywhere.

The locomotives served for 3 years hauling a 2 car "express" service between Shiomibashi and Kawachi Nagano (2 trains inbound in the morning and 2 outbound in the evening).  They were retired in 1949 and sold to Katagami Railway, converted to a tank configuration, and served until 1966 when replaced by DD13 diesels.

Thanks BB. Now that's an interesting chunk of locomotive history...

Cheers NB

Only two, C13 50 and 51 were converted.  The third (unconverted apparently) unit, originally number C10003, was kept by Kintetsu and based at their Furuichi rolling stock depot (on the Minami Osaka line), but its fate is not known after 1952.

Are there any pictures of the locos in their original form?

Cheers NB