Kato EF65-1118 + Rainbow Express

alpineaustralia

alpineaustralia

I have recentl;y installed a DN 163KOa into a Kato EF65-1118 puling seven Rainbow Express passenger cars.

It has an incline that all of my other trains dont like very much but can manage. Even a 12 car E2 shinkansen can manage it.

However, when it comes to the EF65-1118 puling seven Rainbow Express passenger cars, it bleeds speed until it stops half way up and the wheels spin and slip like crazy.

The only way I can ovecome it is to make sure that it has sufficent speed in the run up to ensure that it has the momentum. The EF65 bogies do not have traction tyres.

Are they suppose to?

Does anyone have this sort of trouble?

Any solutions?

Like I said, my other trains doent seem to have this problem to this extent.

CaptOblivious

Yes, it should. My Kato EF65, which should be the same design, has traction tyres.

It seems to need them. I don't generally have any problems with mine running up hills, but sometimes the wheels do slip in extreme circumstances. The pulling power of the Katos, while generally nice, isn't nearly that of equivalent Tomix designs. The problem seems to be one of weight.

alpineaustralia

Could you do me a favour and send me a photo of the undercarriage. Luckily I have spare traction tyres.

CaptOblivious

A little slow (sorry!), but here it is. I have highlighted the two wheels with tyres. Let me know if this is what you needed!

EF65undercarraige.jpg

alpineaustralia

Thanks Capt. I fixed it up. It appears both sets of tyres had come off andwere tangled around the wheels. Your photo defintiely helped to sort out which wheels I needed to attend to.

Cheers matey.