Withdrawn EF64 at Inazawa

yakumo381

JR Freight appear to be getting rid of more of the older classes of loco.  :sad:

The EF64 waiting for the scrapman at Inazawa are placed where I watched a DE10 and a DD51 being broken up last year. Would be great to be able to get hold of souvenirs off them but how?  ??? Would be great to have a door! Where do the number plates go to?

See these videos on You Tube:

I've known a few outlets in Japan that have gone top great lengths to buy number boards from units prior to scrapping at which they sell for a ridiculous amount of ¥. So I'm pretty sure most things that could be considered as collectable from the relatively limited number of freight equipment is out there goes out to those buyers, or are donated to museums. As to how to get a suvionere from the locomotive before going to the torch, most railfans regrettably just break in and steal them as is often the case in the states and the UK. (I do not condone the cool act of burglerly)

Geez,

They look to be in pretty good condition too.  I suppose the newer models are far more efficient.  Can't they do an upgrade or something? 

Cheers

The_Ghan

With the end of most of the blue trains, the loco's that pulled them are also going redundant. This EF81 was previously a "Cassiopeia" hauler.  :sad:

post-302-13569930786416_thumb.jpg

According to the text on Youtube for the first video, those were 0-series EF64.  Wikipedia notes that while the 1000-series are being kept in use, the 0 series is being retired. One reason the 1000s are being kept is that they were refurbished to extend their life. If Wikipedia is to be believed, they started retiring the 0 series nine years ago.

May not be as impressive as a number or name plate which go for mega yen (Yen 300000 for a flame cut panel with a driving car number!) but just bought this vestibule light off a Series 182 DMU car in the Tetsudo Plaza in Osaka Station City for Yen 2000 (about £16) complete with old JR cream ceiling paint, bulb and dust of ages.

Worth a look for a bargain if you are in Osaka (12th floor in osaka city station building) but less a "tetsudo plaza" and more of a small room with an eclectic mixture of layouts, toys and souvenirs and bits off trains within the JR travel agency area.

Osaka Station is now very impressive with its huge "wave" roof and amazing how it was all done whilst still keeping the trains running.

post-302-13569930838488_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I find that remarkable because there are still older series running. Are the EF200's bad locos or something?

Claude_Dreyfus

Being EF200 1, perhaps it was slightly non-standard? That certainly happens in the UK, early versions of a fleet often have certain differences to the rest and when things start to wear out it is often easier to scrap and recover what common parts there are.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus

I believe a lot of ex-JNR electric locomotives built in the 1960's have pretty much been phased out--after all, they've run up a lot of kilometers of the years. The arrival of the EH200, EF210, and other newer locomotives since the 1990's means the old EF64's are now obsolete.

Being EF200 1, perhaps it was slightly non-standard? That certainly happens in the UK, early versions of a fleet often have certain differences to the rest and when things start to wear out it is often easier to scrap and recover what common parts there are.

JR usually have the prototype as -901 so assuming that EF200-901 went some time ago, this would be the first of the primary batch to become end of life or, as I saw on another Japanese train website, to have gone "over the rainbow".

• Like 1

The EF200's are 20 years old and keeping parts for the relatively small fleet of twenty among the growing number of EF210's which are still in production is probably a factor. Pity though, I think the EF200 is a nicer looking engine than the EF210.

Davo Dentetsu
The EF200's are 20 years old and keeping parts for the relatively small fleet of twenty among the growing number of EF210's which are still in production is probably a factor. Pity though, I think the EF200 is a nicer looking engine than the EF210.

But is it me or do the EF200s look a lot more run down than older fleet locos?  It sure is strange to see dirtier and rustier locos in Japan like they appear.

But is it me or do the EF200s look a lot more run down than older fleet locos?  It sure is strange to see dirtier and rustier locos in Japan like they appear.

Given the small number of EF200's built, they may be gone very soon because of the cost of maintaining spares for that model locomotive--unlike the EF210, which is still in production (a number of new ones are just starting service as helper locomotives on the Senohachi grade east of Seno Station on the San'yō Main Line, which will replace the rapidly aging JNR Class EF67's).